16-Year-Old Seeks Help Building a Coil Gun

In summary, the conversation is about a 16-year-old who is interested in physics and wants to create a coil gun as a project. They have been unsuccessful in finding clear instructions online and are asking for help and a list of materials needed. The person they are talking to suggests two websites, one with more complex instructions and one with instructions for a smaller coil gun made from a disposable camera. They also mention another website with various types of coil guns, including some that have been turned into functional pistols.
PhysicsIsNeat
Hey!
Im 16 and love physics, but I am starting to get board with the regular school course and want to start a little project of my own, i thaught a coil gun would be a good start:biggrin: .
Any way, I've looked on google on how to make one but all the instructions suck so i was wondering if anyone could help me out by giving me a list of what ill need, and instructions on how to make a coil gun.

Physics news on Phys.org
For one thing, coil guns usually require killer Amps and high Voltages.

http://www.oz.net/~coilgun/mark1/home.htm
http://powerlabs.org/emguns.htm

Those are my two most helpful sites for coil gunning I've found. You're not going to get instructions like you get in the LEGO kits, you're going to have to really know what you are doing, work out the equations, and construct your own model. Powerlab's site is crazy, don't ever try and do something like that. Oz.net's is more workable, makes it look fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.jeffhove.com/robots/coilgunhowto.html
Oh look, I found rather complete instructions on how to make a small coil gun with a disposable camera! It semi-automatic and shoots BBs ~20 ft.

Here is another most helpful site for coil gunning I've found.
http://www.anothercoilgunsite.com
Has all kinds of coilguns big and small. I saw a few get actually turned into reqular sized pistons. The pistols pack a punch straight clean through soup cans! And it just keeps getting better, more powerfull, and sophisticated.

What is a coil gun?

A coil gun is a type of electromagnetic projectile launcher that uses a series of electromagnets to accelerate a projectile to high speeds. It is often compared to a rail gun, but uses a different mechanism to propel the projectile.

Why would a 16-year-old want to build a coil gun?

Many teenagers are interested in science and technology and enjoy building projects like this as a way to learn and challenge themselves. Building a coil gun can also be a fun and exciting way to explore the principles of electromagnetism and physics.

Is it safe for a 16-year-old to build and use a coil gun?

Coil guns can be dangerous if not built and used correctly. It is important for a 16-year-old to have proper supervision and guidance from an experienced adult when building and using a coil gun. Safety precautions, such as wearing protective gear and using appropriate materials, should also be taken.

What materials are needed to build a coil gun?

The materials needed to build a coil gun may vary depending on the design and complexity of the project. Generally, you will need a power source (such as a battery), wires, a switch, capacitors, and a coil of wire. You may also need a frame or casing to hold the components in place.

Are there any legal restrictions on building a coil gun?

Laws and regulations regarding the construction and use of coil guns may vary by location. It is important to research and understand the laws in your area before building and using a coil gun. In general, it is important to use a coil gun responsibly and safely to avoid any legal issues.