Coil Magnetic Field Question

In summary, a 50 turn coil of area 0.20m^2 is rotated in a uniform 0.15 Tesla magnetic field by a motor at a constant angular velocity 315 s^-1. The axis of rotation is in the plane of the coil and is perpendicular to the magnetic field. At time 0, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of the coil.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

A planar 50-turn coil of area ## 0.20m^2 ## is rotated in a uniform ## 0.15 ## Tesla magnetic field by a motor at a constant angular velocity ## \omega = 315 s^-1 ## The axis of rotation is in the plane of the coil and is perpendicular to the magnetic field. At time ## t = 0 ##, the magnetic field is perpendicular to the plane of the coil.

B.
(i) Plot the total magnetic flux through the coil as a function of time. [3 marks]
(ii) Find the maximum emf generated from the coil. [3 marks]
(iii) What is value of the root-mean-square emf? [3 marks]

C.
If the rotating coil in part (b) forms part of an electrical circuit with total resistance ##30 \Omega ##(including the coil),

(i) What is the average power generated? [3 marks]
(ii) Plot the instantaneous power as a function of time. [3 marks]

Homework Equations

## \epsilon = -N \frac{d\Phi_B}{dt} ##

## P = I^2R ##

## \Phi_B = BAcos(\omega t) ##

The Attempt at a Solution

(i) I need help with this part, I know Flux goes on the y-axis and Time on the x-axis. I'm not sure how to go about plotting the points. I think ## \omega ## depends on the amplitude of the flux.

(ii) Maximum emf ## (\epsilon) ## when ## \theta = 90° ## i.e when ## \omega t = 90° ##

## \Phi = NBA(cos\theta) ##

## \epsilon = -N \frac{d\Phi}{dt} = -NBA \frac{d}{dt}(cos \theta) = -NBA \frac{d}{dt}(cos (\omega t)) ##

## \epsilon = -NBA(-\omega sin(\omega t)) ## , where ## \omega t = 90° ##

## \epsilon = NBA\omega = (50)(0.15)(0.2)(314) = 471 V ##

(iii) ## \epsilon_{rms} = \sqrt{\frac{NBA\omega}{2}} ##

## = \sqrt{\frac{(50)(0.15)(0.2)(314)}{2}} = 15.35 V ##

C.

(i) ## P = I^2R ## Ohm's Law states ## E=IR \Rightarrow I^2 = \frac{E^2}{R^2} ##

Now, ## P = \frac{E^2}{R} = \frac{(471)^2}{30} = 7394.7 W ##

(ii) As you can see I really struggle with graphs, how do I go about plotting the instantaneous powers as a function of time?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Patrick.
Your "I think ω depends on the amplitude of the flux" surprises me. In the problem statement it says that ω = 315 /s, so why should it not be that value ?
And in (ii) you use ##\Phi## correctly, as far as I can see.
Then again, in (iii) you surprise me: no suspicion if the rms of an alternating voltage with an amplitude of 471 V comes out so extremely low ?

Next, C (i): Is that the average power or the amplitude of the instantaneous power ?

Sorry I meant, I think the flux is dependent on the amplitude of omega. In B (iii) I thought that was the formula for the root-mean square of emf. I obtained it online, since I could not find it in my textbook. C (i) ## P_{avg} = \frac{V_{rms}^2}{R} ## Where ## V_{rms} = \frac{V}{\sqrt{2}} ## is this the average power?

Still don't understand what is blocking you: you write ## \Phi_B = BAcos(\omega t) ##, they tell you B, they tell you A, they tell you ##\omega## and all you have to do is plot a cosine and put the right values at the tick marks. The amplitude of the cosine comes in, but not the "amplitude" of ##\omega##.

B(iii) formula is fine (check what it means); my comment was more that you should be suspicious if you get 15 when dividing 471 by ##\sqrt{2}##

C (i): yes.

rms is a simple thing for a sine wave: squaring gives sin2 which averages out to 1/2. taking the root gives you ##{1\over 2}\sqrt{2}##.

For e.g. average power the squaring indeed comes from ##P = V \cdot I = V^2/R = I^2 R ## for a simple resistance (where there is no phase difference between V and I).

With which I am opening a can of worms, because here we have a coil, that not only has a resistance (a part of the 30 ##\Omega##) but also a self-inductance that is introducing a phase difference between V and I. If you haven't been introduced to that stuff already, you might get away with ignoring it. After all, they tell you that the circuit has a total resistance of 30 ##\Omega##.

[edit] Disregard last paragraph. L ≠ 0 clearly not intended. Any expert's comment on this issue ?

Last edited:

To plot the instantaneous power as a function of time, we can use the equation ## P = I^2R ## and substitute in the values we have for current and resistance. We can then plot this as a function of time by choosing different values of time and calculating the corresponding power. Alternatively, we can use the equation ## P = \epsilon^2/R ## and substitute in the values we calculated for emf and resistance. Again, we can choose different values of time and calculate the corresponding power to plot as a function of time.

What is a coil magnetic field?

A coil magnetic field is a type of magnetic field that is generated by an electrical current flowing through a coil. The magnetic field is strongest inside the coil and decreases in strength with distance from the coil.

How is a coil magnetic field created?

A coil magnetic field is created when an electric current flows through a coil of wire. The direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow and the shape of the coil.

What is the purpose of a coil magnetic field?

A coil magnetic field has various purposes, such as powering motors, generators, and other electrical devices. It is also used in industries such as medical imaging and particle accelerators.

How can the strength of a coil magnetic field be increased?

The strength of a coil magnetic field can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the current flow through the coil, or using a ferromagnetic core material inside the coil.

What factors affect the strength of a coil magnetic field?

The strength of a coil magnetic field is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current flow through the coil, the distance from the coil, and the presence of any ferromagnetic materials nearby.