Coil with an aliminum cylinder in varying magnetic field

In summary, the individual is trying to apply Faraday's Law of induction to calculate EMF, but is unsure if the presence of an aluminum cylinder passing through the coil will affect the accuracy of the calculation. They question whether they can still use the original equation, or if they need to consider the eddy currents induced by the aluminum cylinder.
onstandby
Hello all,

I am trying to apply Faraday's law of induction to calculate emf. I know the cross-sectional area, number of windings, and the magn. flux density (B) as a function of time.

So everything looks fine, except one thing. An aliminum cylinder is passing through the coil. In this case, can I still apply the faraday's law as it is, i.e.:

EMF Voltage = d (B(t) . Area) / dt ?

What will be the effect of the aliminum rod? I guess it will result in eddy current, but i am unsure if it s going to be approximately OK if I neglect the Al cylinder and use the above equation?
Please see the below figure.

Attachments

• physics forum q.png
    physics forum q.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 508
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!Yes, you can still apply Faraday's Law of induction, but you will need to take into account the effect of the aluminum cylinder. The presence of the aluminum cylinder will cause eddy currents to be induced in the cylinder, which will affect the rate of change of the magnetic flux density. To accurately calculate the EMF, you will need to take into account how the eddy currents generated by the aluminum cylinder will affect the rate of change of the magnetic flux density.

1. How does the presence of an aluminum cylinder affect the behavior of a coil in a magnetic field?

The presence of an aluminum cylinder in a varying magnetic field can induce eddy currents, which can create their own magnetic field. This can interact with the magnetic field of the coil, resulting in changes in the behavior of the coil.

2. How does the strength of the magnetic field impact the behavior of the coil with the aluminum cylinder?

The strength of the magnetic field can greatly influence the behavior of the coil with an aluminum cylinder. A stronger magnetic field can induce stronger eddy currents in the aluminum, leading to a greater impact on the behavior of the coil.

3. Can the aluminum cylinder be used to shield the coil from the magnetic field?

Yes, the aluminum cylinder can act as a shield for the coil, reducing the impact of the magnetic field on its behavior. This is because the aluminum can act as a conductor, redirecting the magnetic field and reducing the eddy currents induced in the cylinder.

4. How does the size and shape of the aluminum cylinder affect its interaction with the magnetic field?

The size and shape of the aluminum cylinder can impact the way it interacts with the magnetic field. A larger cylinder will have a greater surface area for eddy currents to form, while a different shape may have a different distribution of eddy currents, resulting in different effects on the coil.

5. Can the presence of the aluminum cylinder in the magnetic field affect the accuracy of the coil's measurements?

Yes, the presence of the aluminum cylinder can affect the accuracy of the coil's measurements. The induced eddy currents can create their own magnetic field, which can interfere with the magnetic field being measured by the coil, leading to potential inaccuracies in the measurements.