1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coils and inductance

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    Hi there I needed someone to check my answers for these questions and see if they are correct and if not if they can point me in the right direction the question is for revision purposes got an exam in a week.

Thanks.

A coil of inductance 4H and resistance of 80Ω is connected in parallel with a 200Ω of resistor of negligible inductance across a 200v dc supply. The switch connecting these to the supply is then opened; the coil and resistor remain connected together. State in each case one for immediately before and one for immediately after opening the switch;

The current Through the resistor

Switch closed
    200v/200Ω =1a
    Switch open
    200v/80Ω =2.5a

The current through the coil

Switch Closed
    200v/80Ω = 2.5a
    Switch open
    200v/(200ohm +80Ω) = 0.714a

The e.m.f induced in the coil

Switch closed
    (2.5a*80Ω)/200v = 0v
    Switch Open
    2.5a *(200Ω + 80Ω) = 700v

The voltage across the coil

Switch closed
    200v/1a = 200v
    Switch open
    2.5a * 200Ω = 500v

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2

phyzguy

Science Advisor

These aren't right. You have the 'switch closed' numbers right, but not the 'switch opened' ones. Immediately after the switch is opened, the current through the inductor will be the same as immediately before the switch is opened, since the current through the inductor cannot change instantaneously. All of this current then goes through the 200 ohm resistor, since it has nowhere else to go. Try using this way of thinking to calculate the other quantities.

4. Apr 9, 2013 #3
    Thats where I'm having the problem, I don't seem to understand how to tackle this problems or what formula's to use this unit was covered last year and even though I'm going through my notes I can't seem to tackle the problem.

5. Apr 9, 2013 #4

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Try drawing the circuit with the currents immediately before and after the switch is opened.

6. Apr 9, 2013 #5
    Why would I need to draw the circuit? I think i'm making the question more complexed than it sounds I just need to know how to calculate them.

7. Apr 9, 2013 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Well, try doing what I told you in Post #2, and answer the following questions, in order:

(1) What is the current in the inductor before the switch is opened?
    (2) What is the current in the inductor after the switch is opened?
    (3) What is the current in the resistor after the switch is opened?
    (4) What is the voltage across the resistor after the switch is opened?
    (5) Given this, what is the voltage across the inductor after the switch is opened?
    (6) Given this, what is the induced EMF in the inductor?

8. Apr 9, 2013 #7
    (1) 200v/ 80ohms = 2.5a
    (2) 200v/200ohms = 1a
    (3)
    (4) 2.5 * 80 =200v
    (5)
    (6)
    I just had a feeling it would be wrong the questions I have answered I answered them confidently rest of them have been a stab in the dark.

9. Apr 9, 2013 #8

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Correct.
    No! The current through the inductor cannot change instantaneously. Since V = L dI/dt, if the current changed instantaneously, dI/dt would be infinite, which would require an infinite voltage. So the current in the inductor after the switch is opened is the same as before the switch is opened, 2.5A.

Using this, try answering questions 3-6.

10. Apr 10, 2013 #9
    (2) 200v / 80 =2.5a
    (3) 200v/200 ohms = 1a

Is this correct?

11. Apr 10, 2013 #10

phyzguy

Science Advisor

No, After the switch is opened, the 2.5A flowing through the inductor must flow through the resistor, because it has nowhere else to go. Kirchoff's current laws tell you this. So if 2.5A is flowing through the 200 ohm resistor, what is the voltage across this resistor?

12. Apr 10, 2013 #11
    What is the current in the inductor before the switch is opened?
    200v/80hms= 2.5a

What is the current in the inductor after the switch is opened?
    200v/ 80ohms= 2.5A

What is the current in the resistor after the switch is opened?
    200v/-80 = -2.5A

What is the voltage across the resistor after the switch is opened?
    -2.5A * 200ohms = -500V

Given this, what is the voltage across the inductor after the switch is opened?
    -2.5* 200-500V

Given this, what is the induced EMF in the inductor?
    -2.5A * (200ohm + 80ohm) = -700V

13. Apr 10, 2013 #12

phyzguy

Science Advisor

Great! I think this is now correct.

14. Apr 10, 2013 #13
    Great so to be sure all this is correct now?

A coil of inductance 4H and resistance of 80Ω is connected in parallel with a 200Ω of resistor of negligible inductance across a 200v dc supply. The switch connecting these to the supply is then opened; the coil and resistor remain connected together. State in each case one for immediately before and one for immediately after opening the switch;

a) The current Through the resistor
    Immediately before Switch opening
    200v/ 200ohm = 1a
    Immediately after Switch opening
    200v / 80ohms = 2.5a

b) The current through the coil
    200v / 80ohm = 2.5a
    200v / 80 ohm = 2.5a

c) The e.m.f induced in the coil
    2.5a * 80ohms -(200v) = 0v
    -2.5a *(200Ω + 80Ω) = -700v

d) The voltage across the coil
    2.5a * 80 ohm = 200v
    -2.5a * 200ohms = -500v

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  15. Apr 10, 2013 #14

phyzguy

Science Advisor

The current through the resistor immediately before the switch is opened is 1.0 A, like you had in post #1. I think the rest is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted