Understanding Oscillator Circuits: Effects of Adding a Second Coil at 90 Degrees

In summary, if the coils are perpendicular, there is no flux coupling and the oscillator will stay at its resonant frequency. If the coils are parallel, there is some flux coupling and the oscillator may change its resonant frequency.
Jdo300
Hello everyone,

In my continuing pursuit of understanding of oscillator circuits, I came up with this question and was wondering if anyone here could give me some insight on this. I drew a picture to help me explain the idea but I would like to know what would happen if you have an inductor (air core solenoid for example) and you wrap a second coil around the first coil at 90 degrees to it. If the solenoid coil has an AC sine wave signal put through it, would the second coil experience induction in the same way as normal? If this solenoid coil were part of an oscillator, how would the presence of this second coil effect its operation (Particularly if a load is placed on it)? Would it change the resonant frequency of the oscillator circuit or simply dampen it?? I heard of someone who did a similar experiment and they say the second inductor produces pulsed DC... not sure though. Any help would be appreciated :-).

Thanks,
Jason O

Attachments

• Coils.jpg
    Coils.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 487
Engineering news on Phys.org
Ohh one other note, the original experimenter who got the pulsed DC did not use coils at right angles, he took some small gauge wire and wrapped it around a lamp cord. He then ran a sine wave through the small coil and registered pulsed DC coming out of the lamp cord.

No, there would not be any flux coupling if the windings were done carefully. However, if the 2nd coil were pushed in a bit toward the center of the big coil (in your 2nd sketch), and the windings were tilted a bit, then I think you could get some net flux coupling. I don't know what your friend with the lamp cord was seeing, but it almost certainly wasn't from magnetic coupling. Lamp cord has both conductors in it, so wrapping a coil around both will not induce anything differential. He maybe got some capacitive coupling, or had an instrumentation problem.

If the coils are parallel, engineers always like to say they are talking to each other.

If they are perpendicular, then the fluxes can't link together.

Hmmmm interesting. Thanks for the information :-).

1. What is an oscillator circuit?

An oscillator circuit is an electronic circuit that produces a periodic, repetitive waveform without any input signal. It consists of an active component, such as a transistor or op-amp, and passive components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

2. How does an oscillator circuit work?

An oscillator circuit works by using positive feedback to sustain its output. The active component amplifies the feedback signal, while the passive components determine the frequency and amplitude of the output waveform.

3. What is the significance of adding a second coil at 90 degrees in an oscillator circuit?

Adding a second coil at 90 degrees in an oscillator circuit creates a phase-shifted feedback loop, which allows for the production of a sinusoidal output signal. This can improve the stability and accuracy of the oscillator's frequency.

4. What are the effects of adding a second coil at 90 degrees in an oscillator circuit?

The effects of adding a second coil at 90 degrees in an oscillator circuit depend on the specific circuit design and components used. In general, it can improve the linearity and reduce distortion of the output waveform, as well as increase the frequency stability and reduce phase noise.

5. How can the effects of adding a second coil at 90 degrees be optimized in an oscillator circuit?

The effects of adding a second coil at 90 degrees can be optimized by carefully selecting the values of the passive components, such as the inductors and capacitors, and by adjusting the phase shift between the two coils. Additionally, using high-quality components and proper circuit layout can also improve the performance of the oscillator circuit.