1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coin flipping question

1. Feb 18, 2013 #1
    The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A biased coin lands heads with probability p and tails with probability 1-p.

(1) What is the expected number of flips, after the initial flip, to land a match to the initial flip?
    (2) What is the expected number of flips, after the initial flip, to land a different side from the initial flip? Comment on the extreme values of [itex]p[/itex].

The attempt at a solution
    Without loss of generality, assume we land heads on the initial flip. Let [itex]N_H[/itex] be the number of flips required until we land heads again. Since [itex]N_H[/itex] is a geometric random variable, with pmf [itex]f(x) = p(1-p)^{x-1}[/itex], then [tex]E[N_H]=\sum^{\infty}_{x=1} x \cdot f(x)= \sum^{\infty}_{x=1} px(1-p)^{x-1}=\dfrac{p}{1-(1-p)^2}=\dfrac{1}{p}[/tex] and similarly we have [itex]\dfrac{1}{1-p}[/itex] for tails. Let [itex]H[/itex] and [itex]T[/itex] denote the event of landing heads and tails on the initial flip respectively.

So (1) for matching flips, the expected number of flips is [tex]P(H) \times \dfrac{1}{p} + P(T) \times \dfrac{1}{1-p} = p \times \dfrac{1}{p} + (1-p) \times \dfrac{1}{1-p}=2[/tex].

Similarly, (2) for different flips, the expected number of flips is [tex]P(T) \times \dfrac{1}{p} + P(H) \times \dfrac{1}{1-p} = \dfrac{1-p}{p} + \dfrac{p}{1-p}=\dfrac{p^2+(1-p)^2}{p(1-p)}=\dfrac{2p^2-2p+1}{p(1-p)}[/tex]

For the extreme cases, by L'Hopital's rule, we have [tex]\lim_{p\rightarrow0} \dfrac{2p^2-2p+1}{p(1-p)}=\lim_{p\rightarrow0} \dfrac{4p-2}{1-2p}=-2[/tex] and similarly, [tex]\lim_{p\rightarrow1} \dfrac{4p-2}{1-2p}=-2[/tex]

So I realize I must be doing something wrongly because I'm getting negative expectation values in the final part. Any guidance on my working?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2013 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

L'Hospital's rule does not apply, because you do not have something like 0/0 or ∞/∞.

4. Feb 19, 2013 #3
    Ah! You're right! So I have the expected number grow asymptotically in both cases. Makes sense intuitively, since it should become nearly impossible to land the other side on a flip. Thanks!

Does the rest of my approach make sense? I'm not too convinced about taking [itex]P[H] \times E[N_H] + P[T] \times E[N_T][/itex] because a property that allows me to do this seems to be missing from my memory.

5. Feb 19, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Fwiw, your answer can be written as p/(1-p) + (1-p)/p.
    Yes, that's fine. You can justify it by considering the prob that it takes N tosses given the outcome of the initial toss, P[N|H], P[N|T]. P[N] = P[N|H]P[H]+ P[N|T]P[T]. E[N|H] = ƩNP[N|H], etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook