Is -41C Too Cold for a 20-Minute Walk to the Bus Stop?

• Thread starter George Jones
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bus Cold
In summary: I'm not allowed to drive."I think this is the coldest Nov and Dec that I have experienced; [...]In summary, George walked to the bus stop in Canada and the temperature was [-41C]. Alcohol starts to freeze at -40 so his blood was in danger.
George Jones
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Went for a 20-minute walk to the bus stop. The temperature was
1671552311654.png

• Wow
Likes collinsmark, DrClaude, Borek and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
Seeing how the temperature display is not using Freedom units, I deduce you're in Canada. Which means, it's just a regular brisk winter morning, eh?

• Haha
Likes Astronuc, phinds and russ_watters
Bandersnatch said:
Seeing how the temperature display is not using Freedom units, I deduce you're in Canada. Which means, it's just a regular brisk winter morning, eh?
Tim Hortons, often abbreviated to "Tims", is a chain of coffee shops popular in Canada. Actually, I walked to the Tims that is at the bus stop.

Tims Trek.jpg

• Haha
Likes DrClaude and Bandersnatch
You need to be careful George. Alcohol starts to freeze at -40 so your blood was in danger.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude
Bandersnatch said:
I deduce you're in Canada. Which means, it's just a regular brisk winter morning, eh?
I never noticed before that you have a Canadian accent. :smile:

• Haha
Likes phinds
I am sorry, friend. But I don't know what you're talking aboot, buddy. I have to go now. My moose needs topping up with maple syrup.

• Haha
Likes DrClaude, BillTre, anorlunda and 1 other person
-40C or -40F? Which is worse?

• Haha
Likes robphy and berkeman
Vanadium 50 said:
-40C or -40F? Which is worse?
You'll notice I said
phinds said:
Alcohol starts to freeze at -40
and I didn't say F or C

But you knew that, huh?

Likes BillTre
phinds said:
But you knew that, huh?
V50 has icewater in his veins. Oh wait...

At the risk of connecting two threads that probably shouldn't be connected....

"Did you know that on the solstice, -40C is the same as -40F?"

• Haha
Likes hutchphd and BillTre
George Jones said:
a chain of coffee shops popular in Canada
There are a few in the US. While a lot are near the border, you can find one in Wheeling, West Virginia and, of all places, suburban Houston.

(Trivia - Tim Horton's first name was not Tim)

George Jones said:
Went for a 20-minute walk to the bus stop. The temperature was [-41C].
Mmmmm. I really, really want to feel sorry for you, but I'm sitting here in Sanctuary Cove where it's +25.4C with a mild sea breeze. :oldbiggrin: :oldtongue:

(Didn't you once live in the Virgin Islands, ISTR?)

I think this is the coldest Nov and Dec that I have experienced; the (actual) temperature dropped to -20C (-4F) or lower on 16 days. We had a 4-day stretch this week during which low actual temps were -37.8 (-36F), -41.1 (-42F), -40.6 (-41.1F), -39.9 (-30.8F).

This resulted in a close call. Basement pipe burst yesterday. Cement floor with drain, so managed to turn off home's water before any damage. Found pipe's shutoff valve above suspended ceiling in basement washroom. No plumber required. Pipe fed a watering system that was non-functional even when we moved in.

strangerep said:
(Didn't you once live in the Virgin Islands, ISTR?)

Yes, I lived on St. Croix in the US Virgin Islands for two years. Missed the snow.

George Jones said:
-39.9 (-30.8F)
-39.8F.

I'm glad I don't live there. Temperatures below freezing are something for which we never seem to be prepared here in the south of England.

We recently had a spell of 11 days averaging around or just below freezing, with low -6C, mostly sunny, then it then suddenly went back to a rainy +14C. Many places in this area suddenly had low water pressure or no water supply at all, mainly because of leakage caused by exposed pipes having frozen, burst and then thawed. (Water supply pipes to new buildings have been required to be internal and protected against freezing since the winter of 1962/63, which caused chaos across the UK, but obviously there must have been vulnerable places somewhere). IBM's Hursley site (my official work location) had to be closed for a couple of days due to lack of water, but I wasn't affected as I've been working at home for years (the nearest member of my current team is in Nova Scotia).

George Jones said:
I think this is the coldest Nov and Dec that I have experienced; [...]
As news about the extreme cold in North America filters through to Australia, I feel a need to apologize for my flippancy in post #13. :redface:

I hope you and your family can stay safe. :oldsmile:

Likes George Jones

strangerep said:
As news about the extreme cold in North America filters through to Australia, I feel a need to apologize for my flippancy in post #13. :redface:

I hope you and your family can stay safe. :oldsmile:
No need to apologize. We have had cold here, and we have had 15 - 20 cm of snow in the last 36 hours, but we haven't wind, and the only blizzard condition we have had here is my daughter's speed skating club, whose name is The Blizzard. Our temperature yo-yos in the winter; up to -1C (30.2F) now. We experience a competition between the Pineapple Express from the west and arctic outflows from the east.

• Informative
Likes strangerep
strangerep said:
but I'm sitting here in Sanctuary Cove
"I want to go to there [and buy a house]."

realestate.com.au

StevieTNZ said:
"I want to go to there [and buy a house]."
Heh, good luck if you can afford it! My place is near the bottom of the SC market. :oldfrown:

If you really do want to come and check it out, send me a PM sometime. I can tell you quite a lot about the northern Gold Coast market.

strangerep said:
If you really do want to come and check it out, send me a PM sometime. I can tell you quite a lot about the northern Gold Coast market.
Will keep that in mind!

Still got my eyes set on Updown Court in Surrey, UK. Hurry up and put it on the market, gosh!

1. What are the dangers of walking to a bus stop in -41C weather?

Walking to a bus stop in -41C weather can be extremely dangerous. The extreme cold can lead to frostbite and hypothermia, which can be life-threatening if left untreated.

2. How long can a person safely walk to a bus stop in -41C weather?

It is not recommended to walk to a bus stop in -41C weather for any length of time. Even short exposure to these temperatures can be dangerous for the human body.

3. What precautions should be taken when walking to a bus stop in -41C weather?

When walking to a bus stop in -41C weather, it is important to dress warmly and cover all exposed skin. It is also important to stay hydrated and take breaks if needed.

4. Can walking to a bus stop in -41C weather cause any long-term health effects?

Exposure to -41C weather can cause long-term health effects, such as nerve damage and decreased circulation. It is important to seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms after walking in these temperatures.

5. How can I stay safe while walking to a bus stop in -41C weather?

To stay safe while walking to a bus stop in -41C weather, it is important to dress appropriately, stay hydrated, and limit your time outside. It is also important to seek shelter and warm up if you start to experience any symptoms of cold-related illnesses.