Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cold Fusion

1. Oct 22, 2008 #1
    Most of us have heard about it. Some of us know a little about it. Little understand it.

I am a 17 year old student, competant in the science and maths, (not to toot my own horn, but it is my best area)

Is there a physician (no? physist (damn that word doesnt look right, oh well, you guys get what I mean)) that can please enlighten me [us] on the subject?

As I believe anything is possible, I think the theory and practice of cold fusion is possible, and can seriously do a lot of things for humanity.

Furthermore, I really want to be apart of the movement in uncovering this field of physics. (If fate allows I want to lead the movement of this field, lolz,, yup yup You can call me a 'dreamer'), as I am going into tertiary study next year, I want to know if there is any courses I should be looking into? Any things I should be researching? Any help at all! :P

I believe anything is possible if one starts at a young enough age :D. Look out world here I come (okay now I just sound crazy, lolz.)

Peace!
    xoxowithlove.
    Darian.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 22, 2008 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Good to have dreams, even better to base them on solid physics. While that's not the most reliable source, you may start reading wikipedia articles - start with the nuclear fusion, it contains links to other articles of interest, including famous cold fusion experiment by Fleischmann and Pons. Note that it is rather negative fame.

4. Oct 22, 2008 #3
    Thank you for the reply! :D, lots of help hehe.

Yeah I mean I have read some things on these pages, but I thought I might soon start reading actual published journels and things. hehe. We'll see ! :D

Nice Green Radiant hair by the way. Lolz.

5. Oct 22, 2008 #4
    Hm, cold fusion. I don't want to depress you, but the Fleischmann and Pons fiasco basically killed the field. There are very few credible academics seriously pursuing it, and the ones who do (e.g., Peter Hagelstein at MIT) are very much the dark horses.

6. Oct 23, 2008 #5
    Lol, well I think i will write these Peter Hagelstein at MIT a letter! :P hehe.

What do you mean by killed it? Like, they exhausted every possible path to acheiving cold fusion? With no plausible results? :( Dead ends?

There must be other ways?

7. Oct 23, 2008 #6

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Read the cold fusion article on wikipedia. Basically their results were unreproducible. Perhaps they didn't intentionally forged the results, but the net effect was that cold fusion became crackpottery.

8. Oct 23, 2008 #7

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Imagination without knowledge is ignorance waiting to happen.

If you do not learn about the history of such a thing, you are bound to repeat the mistakes.

If you do not understand the physics involved, you are going to make a bunch of nonsensical statements (and I think you already have).

Just simply saying it is "possible" doesn't make it happen. It is POSSIBLE for you to spontaneously disappear into thin air. There's nothing in physics that says it can't happen. But should you base an entire physics and technology on something that either isn't likely to occur, or would take a time scale of the age of the universe to occur?

This forum is filled with professionals in many areas, including physics. It is a valuable place to be if you want to learn. But learning means starting from the basics and learning how to crawl before you walk and before you run. This is why we have the PF Guidelines stated the way it is. You can't come up with ideas about "cold fusion" and what was wrong with it without understanding the physics involved with fusion. And to be able to do that, you have to understand basic physics first.

Zz.

9. Oct 25, 2008 #8
    Quantum-tunneling, which is the proposed mechanism behind the so-called cold-fusion effect is, in itself, not a problem.

Rather, the problem exits that this effect is not self-sustainable under that configuration.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  10. Oct 25, 2008 #9
    Is this true? I know I'm skipping years and years of research and hard work and complicities, but if Quatum tunneling is made 'sustainable' we can use it to acheive cold fusion? Or be one step closer to acheiving it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?