Exploring Cold Fusion: Future of Energy?

In summary, the article claims that an Italian physicist has made a cold fusion machine and it has recently passed an important test. It is unknown how the machine works, but it is supposedly a way to create energy without the need for high temperatures or radiation. Hagelstein seems to be bitter about the future of energy being in the hands of the general public and does not seem to believe in the machine.
Willis666
So, I was reading something today about an Italian Physicist who supposidly was able to make a cold fusion machine. It recently passed an important test and all that crap, and it will be interesting to see where it goes, but I was wondering how exactly cold fusion works? I get the jist of it, that its basically combining two elements to create a large amount of energy without the need of high temperatures or harmful radiation, but how exactly does it work?

I think it will be interesting to see if this go through. It will feel like a big weight being lifted off my shoulders (The future of energy being in the hands of my generation.)
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45153076/ns/technology_and_science-science/"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows how it works because no one has ever shown it to work. This article, as with almost every mainstream non-scientific media article, is probably filled with inaccuracies and non-sense.

I'd bet good money on this being garbage.

There is no known mechanism for nuclei to fuse in any appreciable numbers without being so ridiculously hot that the material is a plasma being confined by magnetic fields or by inertia in an implosion (or perhaps being blasted by a nuclear bomb, but that's not a very productive approach for producing electricity). Nuclear fusion cross-sections are simply ridiculously small at room-ish temperatures, and typically nuclear fusion explanations for apparent heat output from these schemes would require that the experimenters be dead - it's false that nuclear fusion does not produce dangerous radiation. It's another perpetual motion machine, though that does not say that there aren't some potentially interesting chemical or even nuclear interactions going on.

I see Hagelstein seems not to have lost any of his bitterness towards the DOE.

1. What is cold fusion?

Cold fusion is a type of nuclear reaction that occurs at or near room temperature, unlike traditional nuclear reactions that require extremely high temperatures and pressures. It involves fusing atoms together to release energy, and has the potential to provide a virtually limitless source of clean energy.

2. How does cold fusion work?

Cold fusion involves fusing two smaller atoms, such as hydrogen, into a larger atom, such as helium. This process releases a large amount of energy, and can be harnessed to produce electricity. The specific mechanism of how cold fusion works is still being researched and debated by scientists.

3. Is cold fusion a viable source of energy?

Cold fusion has the potential to be a viable source of energy, but it is still in the experimental stages and has not yet been successfully replicated on a large scale. There are still many challenges and uncertainties that need to be addressed before it can be considered a reliable and commercially viable source of energy.

4. What are the benefits of cold fusion?

The potential benefits of cold fusion include a virtually limitless supply of clean energy, as well as reduced reliance on fossil fuels and decreased greenhouse gas emissions. It could also potentially solve many of the world's energy problems, such as providing electricity to remote areas and reducing the cost of energy production.

5. What are the challenges facing cold fusion research?

There are several challenges facing cold fusion research, including the difficulty of replicating the reaction consistently and reliably, as well as the lack of a clear understanding of the underlying mechanism. Additionally, there is still a stigma surrounding cold fusion due to past controversial claims and experiments, making it difficult to secure funding and support for further research.