Cold Pressure Welding: Tips for Success

In summary, a mechanical engineering student was tasked with designing and building a cold welding prototype for lap joint welding of two metal sheets. They tried using simple methods such as hammering and pressing, but none were successful. They also experimented with different materials and thicknesses, all with no success. They asked for help with the jointing method and were informed that cold pressure welding is not possible for sheet metal. However, there are some methods that can be used for aerospace applications, such as using a rotating head. Friction stir welding was also suggested, but it was only successful on Mythbusters when explosives were used.
z_ahutd
Hi guys. As a mechanical engineering final year student, I was assigned to design and build a cold welding prototype to weld just two sheets of metal together by lap joint. Before I actually start the designing process, I tried to cold weld the two sheet metals together by using simple methods ie, knocking a punch with a hammer to the metals, pressing using a bench vise etc. None of it would join the two together. I used different kinds of materials and thickness (Copper & Aluminium sheet with 0.5mm, 0.8mm and 1.0mm) but all failed. I don't know what is my mistake here. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
So what method of jointing are you going to use? Riveting? Seam rolling? Crimping? Adhesives? Or are you actually expecting that a hammer/punch or vice creates the conditions that cold pressure welding will occur under?

You do know that two pieces of metal won't just stick together by themselves right?

Hi guys,
just found this thread by accident. I sell cold pressure welding equipment but it can't be used for sheet metal. The pressure you would need for that type of material is enormous. Take a look at some head on car smashes and you might just see that some of the metal frame welds together. Our equipment works on wires, rods and square or flat metal bars. We can even weld aluminum to copper. You can see our equipment here: http://www.coldpressurewelding.com/cms/index.php Hope this info is useful for you. br Alan

I have seen this being done with aluminum sheet for aerospace applications. If I remember correctly, they were using a rotating head that pressed down onto the two sheets over an anvil. The sheets were drawn through the device to move the pressure point along the desired bead. It was stated in the video I saw, that in applications requiring greater strength, rivets were used instead.

Surprised I can't find anything about this on the web, and those that offer cold welding claim it's not possible for sheet metal... Very odd.

TheFlynn said:
I have seen this being done with aluminum sheet for aerospace applications. If I remember correctly, they were using a rotating head that pressed down onto the two sheets over an anvil. The sheets were drawn through the device to move the pressure point along the desired bead. It was stated in the video I saw, that in applications requiring greater strength, rivets were used instead.

It's called "http://www.google.com/search?q=friction+stir+welding"".

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw this on Mythbusters. The only way they could cold weld two sheets of metal were with explosives.

1. What is cold pressure welding?

Cold pressure welding is a solid-state welding process that is used to join two pieces of metal together without the use of heat. It involves applying pressure to the metal pieces, causing them to deform and bond together at the molecular level.

2. What types of metals can be joined using cold pressure welding?

Cold pressure welding is typically used to join non-ferrous metals, such as aluminum, copper, and brass. However, it has also been successful in joining dissimilar metals, such as copper and aluminum, or aluminum and steel.

3. What are the advantages of cold pressure welding compared to other welding methods?

Cold pressure welding offers several advantages, including no heat-affected zone, no need for filler material, and no distortion or warping of the metal. It also produces a strong and reliable bond without the risk of defects or cracks.

4. What are some tips for successful cold pressure welding?

To ensure a successful cold pressure welding process, it is important to clean the metal surfaces thoroughly, use the correct amount of pressure and force, and ensure that the metal pieces are aligned properly. It is also important to use the correct type of lubrication to reduce friction and prevent surface contamination.

5. Are there any limitations to cold pressure welding?

Cold pressure welding is not suitable for all types of metals and may not be effective for welding thick or heavy pieces. It also requires a high level of precision and may not be suitable for large-scale production. Additionally, it may not be suitable for welding in certain environments, such as underwater or in extreme temperatures.