1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cold Rolling reduction

1. Apr 25, 2010 #1
    I have some difficulties on calculating the reduction on cold rolling process but mi signs is negative. Is that normal? Cheers

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Your negative sign just means that the bar is reducing in size. Just put the values as positive.

For the second reading, if you took the already reduced bar and reduced it again, then your 'original' readings would be from the first set.

BUT if you took a new bar, and then reduced it, it would be the actual original readings.

4. Apr 25, 2010 #3
    Thank you for the reply.. I use the same bar for all of the rollings. So my second equation to calculate the reduction will be like this one? ((5.25-5.83)/5.83)/100 ??

5. Apr 25, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

That should be it, yes.

6. Apr 25, 2010 #5
    Thank you very much for the help.

7. Apr 25, 2010 #6
    I am trying to produce the graphs of the Hardness VS Reduction which i calculated and then to explain the effect of cold rolling on Hardness. I produce those graphs but seems something is wrong. The graphs which produced it is not linear and no curve and i can't make any explanation.... Any help? Cheers

For example:
    Hardness:

Reduction:

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  8. Apr 26, 2010 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

It looks like on average, as your reduction of area increases, so does the hardness.

9. Apr 26, 2010 #8
    Thanks :).. Can you explain me little more the effect of cold rolling on hardness of the metals ? How does cold rolling effect on the hardness of the materials...? Cheers

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook