Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cold snap in uk

1. Oct 27, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

The daily express on its front page is predicting the coldest winter in the uk
    since 1968, it states that gas ond other reserverves will not last and that a
    3 day working week may be enforced.
    Where do they get these long range forcasts from ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2005 #2

honestrosewater

Gold Member

I think they use the Magic 8 Ball. Hmm, Magic 8 Ball, am I correct about this?

M8B: It is certain.

Well, the ball has spoken.

4. Oct 27, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Magic 8 ball speaks with forked tongue :smile:

5. Oct 27, 2005 #4
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1819000,00.html

The idea is that the North Atlantic Oscillation flip flop is due for a strong negative flop that started early october and may remain negative a prolonged period.

http://www.expage.com/winter2005p2

A weak NAO tends to reduce the westerly flows, building high pressure areas around Greenland - Iceland - Ireland, this forces cold Arctic airmasses into western Europe.

But it's rather tentative.

6. Oct 27, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks Andre, i wonder why we get this all the time, they were predicting the
    same last year, are they just pointing out the uk power output is marginal in
    any case ?

7. Oct 27, 2005 #6
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulf_Stream

Just a note, it's feeling rather chilly here in certain parts of Florida already, and if the Gulf Stream is the main outlet for warmth for Europe... it wouldn't be unsual for it to be little more cool than usual.

8. Oct 27, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

Thanks motai, chilly in Florida ? what would that be, below 80f ? :smile:
    Right now we have one of the warmest Octobers for years, it is about
    70f here, which is most unusual.

9. Oct 27, 2005 #8
    We had a lovely day today on the south coast, makes up for all the rain over monday and tuesday though. Think that forecast of a 3 day working week is pretty stupid idea, surely the more time people spend at work the less time they spend at home with the central heating on.

10. Oct 28, 2005 #9
    Well here in South Germany the weather was rather extreme as well, 20C or 68F, let me show one of the pictures I shot on my little mountain yesterday:
    [​IMG]

11. Oct 28, 2005 #10

wolram

Gold Member

Nica pic Andre, i wish i had that kind of sceenery in my back yard :smile:

12. Oct 28, 2005 #11
    Thinking that getting colder will result in more Snow, i am looking forward to it *grin*

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?