Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cold snap

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

The british press are forcasting a record cold winter, and a major betting
    company have slashed the odds for this. what are they basing their predictions
    on ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I have no idea but I just read a prediction that winter in the U.S. will be mild. (http://www.heraldnet.com/stories/05/10/13/100wir_weather001.cfm [Broken])

Of course, we can always turn to the Old Farmer's Almanac! :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  4. Oct 13, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I don't know, but the same was forecast last year, and that didn't really pan out.

Edit- Are you sure you're looking at up to date articles? I did a quick google search, and the only articles I saw were from this time last year. The articles say the forecasts were made by metcheck.com, and the met office didn't hold a lot faith in their predictions, saying that such long range forecasts are exremely inaccurate (as proved by the mild and largely snowless winter that followed).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Yes i have the right date, it is mostly about energy shotage, and power cuts,
    and how ladbrooks have slashed the odds for a record breaking winter.
    an article in the daily express.

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

7. Oct 13, 2005 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

"Last Updated: Wednesday, 13 October, 2004, 16:33 GMT 17:33 UK "

I'll keep a lookout for any recent articles. I looked on metcheck's website, and couldn't see any really long range forcasts, never mind info on how they do them.

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

OOps, the news paper article is 2005 though.

9. Oct 19, 2005 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I just caught the story on the news. It said they use the http://www.oceansatlas.org/servlet/CDSServlet?status=ND0xMjczNSZjdG5faW5mb192aWV3X3NpemU9Y3RuX2luZm9fdmlld19mdWxsJjY9ZW4mMzM9KiYzNz1rb3M~ [Broken] for their long term forcasting, and with its behaviour this year, we could be in for a cold one.

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook