Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Cold snap

1. Oct 13, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

The british press are forcasting a record cold winter, and a major betting
    company have slashed the odds for this. what are they basing their predictions
    on ?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 13, 2005 #2

Tide

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Oct 13, 2005 #3

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I don't know, but the same was forecast last year, and that didn't really pan out.

Edit- Are you sure you're looking at up to date articles? I did a quick google search, and the only articles I saw were from this time last year. The articles say the forecasts were made by metcheck.com, and the met office didn't hold a lot faith in their predictions, saying that such long range forecasts are exremely inaccurate (as proved by the mild and largely snowless winter that followed).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  5. Oct 13, 2005 #4

wolram

Gold Member

Yes i have the right date, it is mostly about energy shotage, and power cuts,
    and how ladbrooks have slashed the odds for a record breaking winter.
    an article in the daily express.

6. Oct 13, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

7. Oct 13, 2005 #6

matthyaouw

Gold Member

"Last Updated: Wednesday, 13 October, 2004, 16:33 GMT 17:33 UK "

I'll keep a lookout for any recent articles. I looked on metcheck's website, and couldn't see any really long range forcasts, never mind info on how they do them.

8. Oct 13, 2005 #7

wolram

Gold Member

OOps, the news paper article is 2005 though.

9. Oct 19, 2005 #8

matthyaouw

Gold Member

I just caught the story on the news. It said they use the North Atlantic Oscillation for their long term forcasting, and with its behaviour this year, we could be in for a cold one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?