Does anyone know a good way to get rid of cold sores?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cold
In summary, the person believes that there is no cure for cold sores, but offers a few suggestions to relieve the pain and discomfort.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Cold sore :(

Does anyone know a good way to get rid of cold sores. I Have this one on my cheek and its so hard to eat!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pengwuino said:
Does anyone know a good way to get rid of cold sores. I Have this one on my cheek and its so hard to eat!

Stop kissing so many people :rolleyes:

Garlgle with a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of salt stirred in. Gargle about 3 (or more) times per day. It'll sting but it shoould be gone in a few days. It does make your teeth feel funny though.

There's a lotta good medication but we'll leave the prescriptions to the doctors. And I read up somewhere that apparently the liquorice plant can get rid of 'em.

Pengwuino said:
Are you sure that's what it is? I've never heard of a cold sore affecting any area that wasn't a mucus membrane. (Lips, genitals, eyes...) You can't get rid of it. Once you have the herpes virus, you're stuck with it. All that you can do is treat the symptoms. The best non-prescription stuff that I've found is Polysporin. Dab it on (don't rub!) and keep doing so on a regular basis. Try to avoid any physical contact with the affected area. When an outbreak is noticeable, the virus is contagious. Avoid kissing or oral sex, or any contact around a partner's face. (The ex-from-hell's first husband had shingles, which is caused by the same virus, and kissed her on the forehead. She ended up having 6 cornea transplants and a Multino Shunt implant before finally having her eye removed because the virus hid in the front of her brain and jumped out every 3 years or so to destroy her new cornea.) It seems like a silly-ass little thing when it's just a sore lip, but when it spreads to something like the eyes or genitals it's pretty damned serious. Don't treat it lightly.

Ok maybe that's not what it is :D.

Dont you guys ever accidently bite your cheek or lip when eating? Doesnt something develop there that hurts if you touch it?

Pengwuino said:
Ok maybe that's not what it is :D.

Dont you guys ever accidently bite your cheek or lip when eating? Doesnt something develop there that hurts if you touch it?
Sure, all of the time. More often if there's some sort of inflamation that causes the cheek tissue to expand, which can be something as simple as spicy food. The worst that you should experience would be a canker, which is very uncomfortable but not infectious. If it's on the inside of your mouth, the best treatment that I know of is to hold a cheek-full of warm salt water for as long as possible, and repeat as often as possible. If you have to eat while it's there, make a conscious effort to take small bites and chew with the opposite side of your mouth. Only open your jaws far enough to get the food between your teeth, so as to minimize the likelyhood of chomping your sore cheek. I would still recommend refraining from oral sex, though, because a sudden clamping of thighs could force your cheeks in between your teeth. :biggrin:

Whats with all the references to oral sex.

Ahhh, it's on the inside of your cheek?

Sounds like a mouth ulcer. Stick a pinch of salt on it a few times a day, that should dry the bugger out.

You can go to a pharmacy and ask for medication. They should have something that you can apply with a brush, which is a disinfectant and also acts as a local painkiller.

There is nothing else you can do with a canker sore besides wait for it to go away by itself. As said, salt washes (or other mouthwashes) might also alleviate the symptoms, since that disinfects the wound.

Danger said:
(The ex-from-hell's first husband had shingles, which is caused by the same virus, and kissed her on the forehead. She ended up having 6 cornea transplants and a Multino Shunt implant before finally having her eye removed because the virus hid in the front of her brain and jumped out every 3 years or so to destroy her new cornea.)
While shingles is caused by A herpes virus, it's not the same one that causes cold sores. Shingles is the chicken pox virus, Herpes zoster, the one that causes sexually transmitted sores is Herpes simplex. Generally, HSV-1 is the one that causes cold sores and HSV-2 causes genital herpes, but HSV-1 can be spread to the genitals.

I have found that taking 1000mg of the amino acid Lysine helps me tremendously if a cold sore is coming on.

Moonbear said:
Generally, HSV-1 is the one that causes cold sores and HSV-2 causes genital herpes, but HSV-1 can be spread to the genitals.
That might be what threw me off. While I knew that they were different strains, I was under the impression that they could alter their structure from one to the other. Thanks for the clarification.

Moonbear!

Now that we've cleared up Pengwuino's ailment, help me!

I've got a wart on my hand. I've had a few over the past few years, a couple of them vanished, and I blitzed a few myself with dry ice, but this one came up a few weeks ago. It's definitely a wart. That's HPV right? Is it unrelated to herpes simplex? What are the chances of it spreading, urm, elsewhere?

What is this? Dr. Moonbear's clinic? :rofl:

Moonbear, my leg hurts :(

Moonbear, I woke up with a stiff neck and it hurts when I turn my head. :frown:

I am glad that Moonbear set the record straight between the differences of herpes viruses...many people are extremely ignorant on them.

Math Is Hard said:
Moonbear, I woke up with a stiff neck and it hurts when I turn my head. :frown:

Dr. Ivan can handle that one. Don't turn your head.

Ivan Seeking said:
Dr. Ivan can handle that one. Don't turn your head.
Seems my HMO plan just keeps getting worse. :grumpy:

I think moonbear is going to start asking for insurance cards soon.

Math Is Hard said:
Seems my HMO plan just keeps getting worse. :grumpy:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1. What causes cold sores?

Cold sores are caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). This virus is highly contagious and can be passed from person to person through close contact or by sharing items such as utensils or towels.

2. How can I prevent cold sores?

The best way to prevent cold sores is to avoid or limit contact with the virus. This includes avoiding close contact with people who have active cold sores, not sharing personal items, and practicing good hygiene such as washing your hands frequently.

3. What are some home remedies for cold sores?

Some home remedies for cold sores include applying ice to the affected area to reduce pain and swelling, using over-the-counter creams or ointments, and taking oral pain relievers. It is also important to keep the affected area clean and avoid touching or picking at the sore.

4. Are there any medications that can help get rid of cold sores?

Yes, there are antiviral medications that can help to shorten the duration of a cold sore outbreak and reduce the severity of symptoms. These medications are most effective when taken at the first sign of a cold sore.

5. When should I see a doctor for a cold sore?

If you have a weakened immune system, experience frequent or severe cold sore outbreaks, or have cold sores that do not heal within a few weeks, it is recommended to see a doctor. They may prescribe antiviral medication or suggest other treatments to help manage your cold sores.