Find a Reliable Temperature Sensor for Cold Environments - 200K Capable!

In summary, when looking for a temperature sensor for cold environments, it is important to consider its temperature range and accuracy. A reliable sensor will have a wide temperature range and high accuracy. Additionally, features such as a rugged design and positive reviews from other users can also indicate the reliability of a sensor. It is not recommended to use a regular temperature sensor for cold environments, as they are not designed for extreme temperatures. To ensure reliability, it is best to use a specialized sensor and perform tests in controlled cold environments.
ondross
Does anyone know where I can purchase a temperature sensor that can operate at 200K? Thermistors and thermocouples all seem to fail around 223K.

Science news on Phys.org
Lakeshore is the biggest supplier of low-temperature sensors.
You can also have a look at Scientific Instruments website
(among many others)

1. How do I know if a temperature sensor is reliable for cold environments?

The reliability of a temperature sensor for cold environments can be determined by looking at its temperature range and its accuracy. A reliable sensor will have a wide temperature range and a high level of accuracy, meaning it can accurately measure temperatures in extreme cold environments.

2. What is the temperature range for a sensor to be considered "200K capable"?

A sensor that is "200K capable" means it can measure temperatures down to 200 Kelvin, which is equivalent to -73.15 degrees Celsius or -99.67 degrees Fahrenheit. This is a very low temperature range and requires a specialized and reliable sensor.

3. Are there any specific features I should look for in a temperature sensor for cold environments?

Yes, there are a few key features to look for in a temperature sensor for cold environments. These include a wide temperature range, high accuracy, and a rugged design that can withstand extreme temperatures and harsh conditions.

4. Can I use a regular temperature sensor for cold environments?

No, regular temperature sensors are not suitable for cold environments. They are designed to measure temperatures within a limited range and may not function properly in extreme cold temperatures. It is important to use a specialized sensor specifically designed for cold environments.

5. How can I ensure the reliability of a temperature sensor for cold environments?

To ensure the reliability of a temperature sensor for cold environments, it is important to choose a reputable manufacturer and read reviews from other users. Additionally, you can test the sensor in controlled cold environments to verify its accuracy and functionality.