Does the Elitzur-Vaidman Bomb Tester Reveal the Path of a Photon?

In summary: I would argue that every polarization beam splitter is just preparing the...I would argue that every polarization beam splitter is just preparing the photon for absorption into a lattice structure.
arkajad said:
You think of photons as of point particles that have paths. Stop thinking this way and you will have no problems.
Actually, when I think of photons and electrons as point particles that have paths, THEN I have no problems. But I have problems when I DON'T think that way. In my post above I am trying to convey that problem to you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
My problem can be presented in the following way: Are electrons material?
I think we have to let go this with the introductions of wave particle duality .. which is also not a right way of putting it. wavicle was term that was invented, but never stuck. Essentially it means at micro-level you have two ways of looking at things , material (particle) or non-material (wave).

If they are, then how would you explain an EV bomb in which photons are replaced by electrons?
This is a very good question. It would have the same effect, except for the fact that we need to have some other type of interferometer.
If they are not, does it mean that all materials are made of something which is not material?
As far as I understand this is what it finally boils down to. Everything (at least at micro-level) is connected to everything else. So, and photon or electron would not have a measurable location, at least until wavefunction is collapsed.

That brings me back to my original question. Wavefunction collapse is mathematical and probabilistic concept. I do understand that it conveys and supports most of the physical phenomenon. However - what is the physical meaning of this. And if you are asking to let-go physical meaning (forget visualization), it is not a good way proceed.

prajor said:
I do understand that it conveys and supports most of the physical phenomenon. However - what is the physical meaning of this.

Perhaps the physical meaning of this is the following one: quantum theory will be one day replaced by another theory that will save us from such dilemmas. They will be replaced by some other dilemmas on an even deeper level.

prajor said:
That brings me back to my original question. Wavefunction collapse is mathematical and probabilistic concept. I do understand that it conveys and supports most of the physical phenomenon. However - what is the physical meaning of this. And if you are asking to let-go physical meaning (forget visualization), it is not a good way proceed.
If you insist on having at least a CONSISTENT (not necessarily correct) understanding of a physical meaning of it, there is no other way than to adopt one of the specific INTERPRETATIONS of QM, such as objective collapse, many world, Bohmian, etc. Unfortunately, you cannot learn about them from textbook QM, so you must search elsewhere ...

Demystifier said:
objective collapse, many world, Bohmian, etc. Unfortunately, you cannot learn about them from textbook QM, so you must search elsewhere ...

Any links / sources where some of these could be ?

prajor said:
Any links / sources where some of these could be ?

Interaction-free measurement is part of the quantum liar paradox. Both are explained via the Relational Blockworld interpretation in “Reconciling Spacetime and the Quantum: Relational Blockworld and the Quantum Liar Paradox,” W.M. Stuckey, Michael Silberstein & Michael Cifone, Foundations of Physics 38, No. 4, 348 – 383 (2008), quant-ph/0510090.