1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collar and Box

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Collar A starts from rest at t=0 and moves upward with a constant accleration of 9cms^-2. Knowing that collar B moves downward with a constant velocity of 45.7cms^-1, determine the time at which the velocity of block c is zero and the corresponding position of block c

2. Relevant equations

Xa + Xb + Xc = constant

dXa/dt + dXb/dt + dXc/dt = 0

Va + Vb + Vc = 0

dVa/dt + dVb/dt + dVc/dt = 0

Aa + Ab + Ac = 0

Aa = 9cms^-2 constant
    Va = 9t cms^-1
    Xa = 4.5t^2 + Xao cm

Ab = 0
    Vb = -45.7cms^-1
    Xb = -45.7t + Xbo cm

3. The attempt at a solution

At first I thought that 9t - 45.7 = 0 is the equation to find the time t when the velocity of block C is 0, but the picture confused me as it shows like when B goes down , block C will go up and when A goes up block C will go up as well, so the block will keep going up, won't it be like that? and even if i found out the time t, the position of block C can not be found as the initial positions of A, B, and C are unclear.
    Help me please TT

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      File size:
      7.7 KB
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2010 #2
    my 5 cents advice: look at the diagram in terms of rope distance.

the travelling path of C will be something like:
    the ropes on the right side will lossen at the rate of twice of the velocity of collar B.

This makes C falls.

the rope on the left connecting C to A will pull up C at a rate of 1/2 of wadever distance gained since A only pulls on one side of the rope.

This makes C raise.

Hope it helps
  4. Feb 24, 2010 #3
    Thanks a lot!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook