Collcetive consciousness and collective pray(for Sceptic,Ivan and others)

In summary, the Global Consciousness Project found that when people pray for peace, the number of heads on a machine that generates random numbers tends to increase. This effect has been seen 20 times in the experiment so far. Some people think this proves that global consciousness exists, while others think it's just a coincidence. There is no way to know for sure.
SGT said:
I would say that the origin of those electrochemical reactions are stimuli and not free will.
To extrapolate that phenomena acting through interatomic distances should also act through hundreds of kilometers is to stretch (no pun intended) the reasoning somewhat.

There is no free will,whatever you think or do in the moment,it's all already conducted in our brain,every move,and every thought,like it or not.You should have watched "Brain Story".

Physics news on Phys.org
No-where-man said:
There is no free will,whatever you think or do in the moment,it's all already conducted in our brain,every move,and every thought,like it or not.You should have watched "Brain Story".
I still don't see what importance the existence of free will has to the subject we are discussing.

all thought and consciousness in the mind is generated by incoming signals trigering stored neural circuits [stored via electrochemical stimulation of glial protein cells which form chains along a connection so that when a signal of this type is received again the same connection will refire] that correspond to other similar signal types-

'free will' is merely the name we give to certain types of stored circuits which when stimulated trigger circuits that correspond to maintaining the goals/survival of the organism itself- If vis cortex sees red then trigger states corresponding to red shirt father was wearing when I he told me he was proud of me that day- then trigger good feelings about father- or audiovisual signals from TV trigger memory/recognition circuits which identify the TV image as a doctor talking about helping patients- previous positive and goal oriented states are triggered which together from a bias of dominant triggers to the circuits "doctors are good"/ "I want to help people""/"doctors help people"/"I need a good job"/"a doctor is a good job"/etc which leads the person to think that they have just 'decided' to try and become a physician- they feel it was a spontaneous or inspired choice- but was merely a cascade of signals triggering states and certain states dominated and tied back to the goals of the organism

I could go into your brain and alter those stored connections that make you for instance want to leave if there is a commotion- or see someone doing an activity and trigger you to want to do the same activity- and instead wire them to other triggered responses- thus I could fully manipulate and redisign your very core WIll into whatever I wanted- like with the 'I want to be a doctor" situation- I could bioengineer a solid and robust connection from any triger of the concept of 'doctor' to a set of circuits which reference the concept of 'doctors are pharmeceutical tools"- by trigering memory/concepts of 'doctors perscripbe meds'/ 'many meds are unsafe'/ 'the fda is corrupt' / correspondance between cartell:pusher to pharmeceutical company:doctor/ etc and every time you saw/thought of a physician your mind would quickly remember that doctors are corrupt tools for the pharmaceutical industry- and you would NEVER want to become one-

Last edited:
SGT said:
I still don't see what importance the existence of free will has to the subject we are discussing.

Yes,you're right about that,I'll just shut up.

setAI said:
I could go into your brain and alter those stored connections that make you for instance want to leave if there is a commotion- or see someone doing an activity and trigger you to want to do the same activity- and instead wire them to other triggered responses- thus I could fully manipulate and redisign your very core WIll into whatever I wanted- like with the 'I want to be a doctor" situation- I could bioengineer a solid and robust connection from any triger of the concept of 'doctor' to a set of circuits which reference the concept of 'doctors are pharmeceutical tools"- by trigering memory/concepts of 'doctors perscripbe meds'/ 'many meds are unsafe'/ 'the fda is corrupt' / correspondance between cartell:pusher to pharmeceutical company:doctor/ etc and every time you saw/thought of a physician your mind would quickly remember that doctors are corrupt tools for the pharmaceutical industry- and you would NEVER want to become one-

Wow, great explanation... i think the same way and i agree completely, but i have a doubt, a much simplier question ... I extend my arm. and while it's extended i watch it and think. ok now i will decide when i will rise it. and, i wait. i wait... , and think. ok NOW! and then i "decide" to rise it.
May bee its something silly, but if you try there is a clear felling that you have decided when to rise your arm. if not free will, is it random? is it a consecuence of some part of the brain that always waits xxx time? what is it.

No-where-man said:
Does this mean global consciousness exist?

Is there any way to prove these quasi-scientists that they are completely wrong and that they have understood these esperiments?

Yes global and gestalt consciousness is real. It is dependent on variables though. It is not somethng that happens on command or can be ordered to happen. The people have to cooperate usually. That is why the phenomenon is associated with religions. Religious people are nice enough to cooperate with groups of total strangers.

The most obvious example of gestalt consciousness is a mob. The individuals lose their will which merges with the wills of the other people in the mob. The mob mind takes over and the people act in ways they would not if they were in control of their own mind.

Have you ever been in a mob before? Were you able to resist being drawn in? Could you feel the pulling that the gestalt consciousness was exerting on you? Some people can do it and some cannot. I think it depends on will power. If you are strong willed, you are probably resistant to gestalt consciousness. If you are weak willed, then the gestalt mind can gain control of you.