1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collecting air samples to test for primary pollutants.

1. Dec 29, 2003 #1
    I'm doing a lab (Extended Essay, if you're familiar with the IB program) on the local air quality. I basically would need to collect some air samples to test, but I'm not sure how I would go about collecting appropriate samples of air. I'm also not sure in what sort of container I could place them in.

The container has to be transparent since I will be shooting an infrared beam through the air sample.

So, how could I go about collecting air samples, and what kind of containers do you suggest I get/make? I've got the rest of the lab set-up, but I'm stumped on how I would collect air samples. I guess I could just use ziplock bags and fill them with the 'air' in different areas of the city, but I'm not sure if that'd work. ANY ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2003 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Without knowing what time constraints you face, I'll offer a suggestion that you look at the sensitivity of your IR before committing yourself too heavily --- can you distinguish between air you breathe and a ziploc filled from an auto/truck/bus tailpipe?

4. Jan 6, 2004 #3
    I have plenty of time ^_^.

I just need to figure out a good way to collect air samples, and a good way to store them so I can test them. I have two ways that I've thought of, and both require a way to store air samples.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?