Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #1,226

• Haha
Likes davenn, strangerep, Steelwolf and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,227
enhanced-17046-1445967837-1.jpg

Likes nuuskur, davenn, Ibix and 2 others
  • #1,228
Schroedinger...Isn't he the guy what invented Cat Boxing? That's just mean, making cats fight like that: standing upright, paws sheathed and no ear-biting allowed...just plain un-natural.

Likes davenn, Craftek_Ana, DennisN and 1 other person
  • #1,229
The problem with cat boxing is that both cats are always KO'd and not KO'd at the same time.

Likes Craftek_Ana, DennisN and Steelwolf
  • #1,230
In the Biology Department: Do you know how to cut off a cat's tail?

Take away his wheels!

• #1,231
Ibix said:
The problem with cat boxing is that both cats are always KO'd and not KO'd at the same time.

Yeah, Refereeing such a fight would be hard: do you ring the bell, or Not ring the bell. (I guess that might possibly depend on whether Pavlov had been working in the building or not)

Edit: And are they actually KO'ed or did they just curl up for mutual naps?

Likes Ibix and DennisN
  • #1,232
Steelwolf said:
Yeah, Refereeing such a fight would be hard: do you ring the bell, or Not ring the bell. (I guess that might possibly depend on whether Pavlov had been working in the building or not)

Very many people know about Pavlov's dogs and Schrödinger's cat.
But few people know about the infamous Pavlov-Schrödinger Dog & Cat experiment (PSDC):
  1. First you condition a dog to eat cats when you ring a bell (yeah, I know it's cruel, but it's for science).
  2. Then you take a radioactive substance, a bell device, a dog and a cat and put them in a box.
  3. When one atom in the radioactive substance decays, the bell device gets activated and rings the bell.
We don't know when the decay will happen and we won't know what happens until we open the box.
Now the question is: are both the dog (hungry/fed) and cat (alive/dead) in superposition?

It's a little combination of psychology and physics :smile:.

• Haha
Likes Ibix and Steelwolf
  • #1,233
What if you open the box and the dog is dead but there are TWO cats? Try Boxing day all over, or what?

Of course, with the one experiment you Do have to be careful that the 'feed cats' are far enough from the sound of the bell that they are not habituated to hearing the bell and then dying screams shrieks yells and general cussing that happens in a cat-dog confrontation, (no matter which of em is dying), lest the cats hear the bell and are prepared for the worst, or ready to run. Of course, some try to nap and are just eaten, but hey that is science for ya!

Likes DennisN
  • #1,234
Here was a 3 week run, the short blades the blade themselves are 18 inches long, fer scale

• #1,235
Whoops, Wrong Forum...sigh oh well, this is what I used to do fer a living before the neck rebuild, back then I was edgy and quick to point out both sides, was frequently to the point and most people could not handle my forte' for there is no guard while I pommel one time and time again with sword puns. Of course, Some swords had a little wiggle room, but most were straight, to the point and deadly real.

• #1,236
a|dog hungy>|cat alive> + b|dog fed>|cat dead> + c|dog dead>|cat alive> where a,b,c are complex coefficients and |a|2+|b|2+|c|2=1

Likes DennisN and Steelwolf
  • #1,237
So the answer for one cat into one dog equals one turd?

• #1,238

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Klystron, nuuskur and 2 others
  • #1,239
Steelwolf said:
Schroedinger...Isn't he the guy what invented Cat Boxing? That's just mean, making cats fight like that: standing upright, paws sheathed and no ear-biting allowed...just plain un-natural.

what, like this ? …..

cat boxing.jpg

Likes DennisN, Bystander, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #1,240
8ZAEzoyt1Mji36ifTGoCXxtJ6c&_nc_ht=scontent.fmuc3-1.jpg

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Filip Larsen, strangerep and 9 others
  • #1,241
gF1gZUkrD6wWsEnFQ0MRcbYWLWk&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.jpg

Likes 256bits, strangerep, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,242
Yes Davenn, that is a great picture of kittens practicing Cat Boxing, note, they do not have the 16 gram gloves!

Likes davenn
  • #1,243
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes DennisN, strangerep, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #1,244
davenn said:
in memory of that awesome day 50 years ago today 20 July 1969
We are now Friday, July 19, 2019 23:35 UTC and the landing was on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC.

You may be sipping your morning coffee in Australia, but I'm not even ready to go for bed, as it is July 19 19:35 here!

Likes davenn
  • #1,245
jack action said:
You may be sipping your morning coffee in Australia, but I'm not even ready to go for bed, as it is July 19 19:35 here!
almost lunchtime sat 20th here :smile:

Likes jack action
  • #1,246
jack action said:
We are now Friday, July 19, 2019 23:35 UTC and the landing was on July 20, 1969, at 20:17 UTC.
Apollo in real time (+50 years)

Likes Ibix and davenn
  • #1,247
1563822090990.png

• Haha
Likes DennisN, nuuskur, davenn and 1 other person
  • #1,249
Bandersnatch said:
I've seen a similar proof that horses have an infinite number of legs:

Horses have two legs at the back and forelegs at the front, making six legs in total. That is an odd number of legs for a horse, but is an even number. The only number which is both odd and even is infinity, so horses have an infinite number of legs.

Similarly, Julius Caesar had an infinite number of arms. He was forewarned of the Ides of March. Forewarned is forearmed, and four arms is an odd number of arms for a man. The proof proceeds as above.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and davenn
  • #1,250
The word play :D "odd" number of legs has multiple meanings :D

• #1,252
uh huh ...

one day on Mercury.jpg

Likes DennisN, Craftek_Ana, Ibix and 3 others
  • #1,253
Screen Shot 2019-07-30 at 1.54.38 PM.png

• Haha
Likes DennisN, nuuskur, Steelwolf and 4 others
  • #1,255
The oldest computer can be traced back to Adam & Eve.

Surprise, surprise, it was an Apple.

But with extremely limited memory.

Just 1 byte.

Then everything crashed.

• Haha
Likes EHope, DennisN, nuuskur and 7 others
  • #1,256
Likes collinsmark
  • #1,257
Geologists have uncovered the world's oldest piece of bread. It was found deep in the Earth's crust.

• Haha
Likes Steelwolf, strangerep, BillTre and 1 other person
  • #1,258
hottest things in the universe.jpg

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Klystron and Bystander
  • #1,259
1565276262030.png

Likes EHope, jack action, davenn and 2 others
  • #1,260
A good (world saving) reason to switch to liquor or wine!