Collection of Science Jokes P2

In summary: Usually it's been commentated as being 'real'. Actually the joke dates back to the 30's and whether it's real or not cannot be said anymore.
  • #1,436
Canadians will understand:

UWxfbo09882DgYYJsH45sJmEVw&_nc_ht=scontent.fymq2-1.jpg

Likes Keith_McClary, DrClaude, 256bits and 4 others
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,437
Someone maybe told this one already:
Heisenberg is driving when he is stopped by a cop.
"Do you know how fast you were going?"
"No, but I know exactly where I am"
"You were going 107 miles an hour".
"Good, now I'm lost".

• Haha
Likes ali PMPAINT and artis
  • #1,438
DrGreg said:
Why are auto mechanics like actors?

They often have to wait to get the parts
The version I know is:
"What do you do for a living?"
"I am an actor"
"Really, in what restaurant?"

Likes 256bits, gmax137 and jack action
  • #1,439
A nuclear power reactor is being brought back to full power from a sudden shutdown.
Manager comes into the control room and asks "why haven't we reached full power yet?"
Control room senior operator replies "We are waiting for Xenon"
Manager replies "I don't know the last name of that Xenon , but once he is back to work and we are at full power I want to see him in my office!"

• #1,441
jack action said:

My height and weight on my driver's license is in metres and kilograms, so there is always an exception to the rule.
By the way, ask me how much I weight or how tall I am it is in pounds and feet ( and inches ). go figure.

• #1,442
jack action said:

256bits said:
go figure.

Having holidayed in Canada recently, My wife and I were constantly giggling at the crazy mix of imperial and metric eg.

everything on the restaurant menu was metric except for the steak size 15 oz or whatever it was ...
it was a tiny wizened up bit of meat? in the middle of the plate. I usually go for a 300 - 400 gram steak.
Not huge but a respectable chunk :smile:

D

• #1,443
davenn said:
My wife and I were constantly giggling at the crazy mix of imperial and metric eg.
Some friends came over to the UK from Spain and wondered why we sell milk in units of 1.136 litres. Two pints, in metric.

• #1,444
Ibix said:
Some friends came over to the UK from Spain and wondered why we sell milk in units of 1.136 litres. Two pints, in metric.
And I like my bear in 341 ml bottles :smile:

Likes jack action
  • #1,445
Small bear! How do you get it in the bottle?

Likes Keith_McClary and Ibix
  • #1,446
DrClaude said:
0.6 pints? Really? We mostly get beer in half or pint sizes. Bottles are typically 500ml and cans either 330ml (same as a fizzy drink) or 500ml.

According to the old prole in 1984, half a liter of beer "just don't satisfy", but a liter's too much. Winston, who is after information, cynically notes that he ends up buying him two halves anyway...

• #1,447
DrClaude said:
That sounds cruel.

Likes davenn
  • #1,448
mfb said:
That sounds cruel.
Ooooh, I got one...

It would bearly fit.

• Love
Likes davenn, Ibix and mfb
  • #1,449
Ibix said:
0.6 pints? Really? We mostly get beer in half or pint sizes. Bottles are typically 500ml and cans either 330ml (same as a fizzy drink) or 500ml.
Yes, really. It's 12 UK fluid ounces.

• #1,450
Ha - We still buy eggs by the dozen, lettuce by the head - is that a metric or imperial unit of measure?

• #1,451
jbriggs444 said:
Ooooh, I got one...

It would bearly fit.
got me a thinking -
Something to ponder about late at night in bed when you can't sleep.
Is bare meat when they take the fat off?

• #1,452
DrClaude said:
Yes, really. It's 12 UK fluid ounces.
Ah - what the 330ml cans approximate, I presume. I don't think I've seen 341ml bottles, though - maybe I haven't looked.

• #1,453
Ibix said:
Ah - what the 330ml cans approximate, I presume. I don't think I've seen 341ml bottles, though - maybe I haven't looked.
Then let me make some free publicity for my favorite beer:

rasseurs-du-Nord-Boreale-Biere-Rousse_OADA_670x500.jpg

• #1,454
DrClaude said:
Then let me make some free publicity for my favorite beer:
Canadian? Not sure it's available in the UK, but I'll keep an eye out.

• #1,455
256bits said:
Ha - We still buy eggs by the dozen, lettuce by the head - is that a metric or imperial unit of measure?
The lettuce one is metric. The imperial version is the off-with-his-head of lettuce.

Likes 256bits and BillTre
  • #1,456
Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 8.01.40 AM.png

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes davenn, berkeman, Greg Bernhardt and 4 others
  • #1,457
The alt-text on that one is good too - "More likely: Click on all the pictures of people who appear disloyal to [name of company or government]"

• #1,458
Ibix said:

OMG, seriously, I would be wondering as well, it wasn't just done to 1litre, 2litre etc ?

• #1,459
davenn said:
OMG, seriously, I would be wondering as well, it wasn't just done to 1litre, 2litre etc ?
We used to sell it in pints, or simple multiples thereof. When we switched to using metric officially there was a huge outcry about it - largely from the type of conservative who (to quote David Eddings) "wouldn't change their underwear if they didn't have to". Carrying on selling in pints, just labelled differently, was a form of social judo. By changing literally nothing except the number on the bottle (and we'd had dual labelling for years anyway) they were more or less totally disarmed. And sensible metric quantities have slowly crept in - beer in 500ml cans isn't uncommon now, for example.

To be fair, I think there were concerns that shops would stop selling pints and start selling half litres but not change the price - a per-volume rise of over 13%. And since exactly that happened the other way around, at least in some places, when Europe introduced the Euro (many things got their prices rounded up to the next multiple of 5 cents, never down), there probably was some genuine concern.

Likes davenn
  • #1,460
Ibix said:
Canadian? Not sure it's available in the UK, but I'll keep an eye out.
It's from a microbrewery in Montreal.

• #1,461
Family Guy - How the Universe was made

• Haha
Likes collinsmark and BillTre
  • #1,462
Physicists & Mathematicians:

"You can't approximate every constant we worked so hard to prove."

Enginneers:

##e = \pi = 3##

Likes Wrichik Basu and DennisN
  • #1,466
Instructions: Insert an exclamation point where needed.

I want to kiss you 6 times​

Normal people:

I want to kiss you 6 times!

Math people:

I want to kiss you 6! times

• #1,467
jack action said:

Normal people:

I want to kiss you 6 times!

Math people:

I want to kiss you 6! times
That was actually my first thought: 6! together with the question: where else would it make sense?

• #1,468
jack action said:
Normal people: I want to kiss you 6 times!

Math people: I want to kiss you 6! times
That reminds me (not actually a joke but a curious fact). Did you know that 10! seconds is exactly 42 days? Maybe that was the ultimate question.

• Informative
Likes jasonRF and jack action
  • #1,469
DrGreg said:
That reminds me (not actually a joke but a curious fact). Did you know that 10! seconds is exactly 42 days? Maybe that was the ultimate question.
Makes sense.
Earth was a giant supercomputer designed to find the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe and Everything. Designed by Deep Thought and built by the Magratheans, it was commonly mistaken for a planet, especially by the ape descendants who lived on it.
But as "days" varies in time, they have to hurry up reading the output.

• #1,470
Inspired by the lame jokes thread:

Why didn't Hamilton travel more?
If a city had a dead end there was no path for him.

Edit: Hmm... working on it.

Why did Hamilton get lost so often?
He couldn't find a path.

Last edited: