College admission interview.

In summary: The University of Rochester has a special scholarship program for Syrian students. I applied to this program and the Admission consular wants to set up an interview with me via Skype so that we can talk. What do you think he's going to ask me. any advice would be appreciated.
YYaaSSeeRR
Hello
The University Of Rochester has a special scholarship program for Syrian students.
I as a Syrian citizen applied to this program and the Admission consular wants to set up an interview with me via Skype so that we can talk.
what do you think he's going to ask me.
any advice would be appreciated.

just for the record:
here in Syria ,we don't have to do any interview when applying to a university so I am really not familiar with this and really nervous about it too.

if you do have any suggestions ,please post them.

notes:
I am applying as a freshman to study Electrical Engineering.
my High school overall average is 72.55% .
the University didn't require me to send SAT or ACT scores.
I don't know if they're going to waive the English proficiency requirement yet. (they usually ask for TOEFL scores).

best;

Physics news on Phys.org
During my freshman college interviews they basically wanted to get to know me as a person. Smile to the camera (literally) and be friendly, make sure to demonstrate your personality, and since you are applying for EE, know how to communicate your interest in the field (why you are interested in it and what in particular draws you.) Also, try not to show nervousness.

I'm not sure what questions they'd ask you, but they asked me some questions like "Why are you interested in this school?" "What hobbies do you do in your spare time?" "What might you be interested in majoring in?" "How was your high school experience?" Some also threw in a couple of random questions about the history of the town/place I came from, or current events going on in my local area. Make sure you prepare some good, specific answers to questions like these, and focus on the positive (or if there are any parts of your story that may not be so positive, dwell on the things you learned from it.)

In this particular case, certainly one thing they will want to determine is how good your spoken English is! (NOT always clear from a written test.)

Likes 1 person
HallsofIvy said:
In this particular case, certainly one thing they will want to determine is how good your spoken English is! (NOT always clear from a written test.)

what kind of English do you think the interviewer is going to use with me?? Advanced English??
I have made a research about college interview questions and answers and I can talk about that fluently but I am afraid he will consider me a very good English speaker.

how much time will it take ?? do you think it will be more than 30 minutes?

Dear student,

First of all, congratulations on being selected for the special scholarship program at the University of Rochester! It is a great opportunity for you to pursue your studies in Electrical Engineering.

As for the admission interview, it is understandable that you may feel nervous since it is not a common practice in Syria. However, the admission consular simply wants to get to know you better and understand your motivations for applying to the program. They may ask you questions about your academic background, interests, and career goals. It is also possible that they may ask about your experience living in Syria and how you think it will impact your studies in the United States.

My advice for the interview is to be yourself and be honest. Show your enthusiasm for the program and your passion for the field of Electrical Engineering. It may also be helpful to do some research about the University of Rochester and the program you are applying to, so you can ask any questions you may have during the interview.

Regarding your academic background, do not worry about your overall average being 72.55%. The university has already considered your application and has invited you for an interview, which means they see potential in you. However, it would be helpful to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of math and physics, as they are essential for studying Electrical Engineering.

As for the English proficiency requirement, it is best to confirm with the university if they will waive it for you. If not, it would be beneficial to start preparing for the TOEFL exam to showcase your English language skills.

Overall, my advice is to stay calm, be confident, and show your genuine interest in the program during the interview. I wish you all the best in your interview and future studies at the University of Rochester.

Sincerely,

1. What should I wear to a college admission interview?

It is important to dress professionally for a college admission interview. This typically means wearing business attire, such as a suit or dress pants and a dress shirt. Avoid wearing anything too casual or revealing.

2. How should I prepare for a college admission interview?

Research the college beforehand and familiarize yourself with their programs, values, and campus. Practice answering common interview questions and have a few questions prepared to ask the interviewer. Also, make sure to arrive early and bring any necessary documents or materials.

3. What types of questions can I expect in a college admission interview?

College admission interviews typically include questions about your academic background, extracurricular activities, career goals, and why you are interested in attending the college. The interviewer may also ask about your strengths, weaknesses, and any challenges you have faced.

4. Is the college admission interview a deciding factor in the admissions process?

The college admission interview is just one aspect of the admissions process and is not always a deciding factor. Admissions decisions are based on a combination of factors, including grades, test scores, essays, and letters of recommendation.

5. Can I bring a parent or friend to my college admission interview?

It is not recommended to bring a parent or friend to your college admission interview. This is your opportunity to showcase your individual strengths and qualifications, and having someone else present may be distracting or give the impression that you are not independent.