College Admissions

  • Schools
  • Thread starter Tom McCurdy
  • Start date
  • #1
1,010
1
Today I just got an acceptance letter from what is probably my 2nd choice out of the schools I applied for... U of M for engineering

I have been accepted to so far
U of M
Rose-Hulman
Purdue

I have not heard back from case western and MIT

I am considering whether or not to do a couple more applications.
I am thinking
Olin
Cornell
Stanford
Columbia
Illionis Champange
list grows and shrinks everyday
 

Answers and Replies

  • #2
136
0
Congratulations!
Last year when I got my Case Western acceptance letter it was late December (despite them saying you won't hear back until Jan 15) and about that range for the rest of my classmates who applied. It basically depended on where your last name is in the alphabetic pecking order.
 
  • #3
1,010
1
ty for the congrats... are you going to case currenlty?
 
  • #4
1,010
1
Speaking of which where is everyong going/went to college?
 
  • #5
18,354
8,156
Tom McCurdy said:
Speaking of which where is everyong going/went to college?
Congrats Tom!! I'm in my last year at WI-Milwaukee
 
  • #6
136
0
First year student at Case Western Reserve University :smile:
 
  • #7
1,010
1
How Do you like Case Western? I have heard very mixed reviews of it... on both ends of the spectrum... on the plus side no matter what the connection there is ungodly fast.
 
  • #8
136
0
I like it a lot and so do most of the people I hang out with, really. But then I am a nerdy person and so are my friends... if you have any questions in detail feel free to PM me or some such.
And for the record, yes it is very awesome to think your internet's being slow when your movie of choice does not download in 30 seconds. :biggrin:
 
  • #9
1,010
1
What are you majoring at Case?
and you Greg at WI-Milwaukee... and by last year you meant what... I mean what degree will you ahve?
 
  • #10
66
0
Hey Tom McCurdy, Congratullations!
As waht they say "From this one to the better one may your next step be" :smile:


Just a question which may sounds really dum, but i have just been in the U.S since August only:

Is Conrell a liberal Arts University? i.e. does not give an engineering degree?
 
  • #11
80
0
It never hurts to send out more apps if you have the time and money. You never know how the fin. aid will turn out (if that's a concern to you). That said, you've already gotten into some great schools, congrats!

I go to UW-Madison
 
  • #12
1,414
5
Well I'm out here at CalPoly, so i don't know how helpful that is, but tis great. California beaches, Santa Barbara near by (and more importantly Isla Vista the town with 18,000 college students in 4 square miles, and the party scene of the west coast).

And if PG&E pulls their heads out of their collective posterior we will be the site of the Diablo Canyon Neutrino experiment (crosses fingers and prays).
 
  • #13
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
35,847
4,670
theFuture said:
I go to UW-Madison
Hey, that's my Alma Mater! Have they finished moving completely into Chamberlain Hall yet?

Zz.
 
  • #14
337
0
Congrats Tom, I'm considering transfering to going to U of M next fall for EE. Right now it's a toss up between U of M and Lawrence Tech.
 
  • #15
136
0
Tom McCurdy said:
What are you majoring at Case?
It's either an astronomy major with a physics minor or a physics major with an astro minor but I don't really need to pick until junior year anyway. Regardless of which I choose I also have a "hobby" with a history minor.
 
  • #16
80
0
ZapperZ said:
Hey, that's my Alma Mater! Have they finished moving completely into Chamberlain Hall yet?

Zz.
Starting to move in next semester, classrooms ready for the summer!
 
  • #17
18,354
8,156
theFuture said:
Starting to move in next semester, classrooms ready for the summer!
Looks like we have one more person if we ever plan a midwest PF gathering! :smile:
 
  • #18
33
0
Greg Bernhardt said:
Looks like we have one more person if we ever plan a midwest PF gathering! :smile:
I (my parents) live about 20 miles north of Milwaukee.

Currently attending UW-Oshkosh (biochem major, math and physics minors); transferring to Purdue next semester for applied physics.
 
  • #19
1,010
1
kdinser said:
Congrats Tom, I'm considering transfering to going to U of M next fall for EE. Right now it's a toss up between U of M and Lawrence Tech.
I would be doing EE also... that would be weird if we were to meet sometime over there by accident
 
  • #20
Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
11,490
52
Congrats on your acceptance Tom! I did a post-doc up at U of M (not in engineering though :wink:). If you need information about the area, I can help you out with that. One thing to keep in mind about U of M...it's EXPENSIVE to live in Ann Arbor. I don't know how it compares to other places you've applied, but the university only has freshman housing, so you're at the mercy of the slumlords for the remainder of your time there. Even if you're going on scholarships (I don't know if you are or not), those don't pay for off-campus housing, so you'd still have to foot the bill on that. If you can afford it, then the program is great. I guess since you already live in MI, I don't need to warn you about the weather. :biggrin: (It took me a year to thaw out after living in MI :rofl:).
 
  • #21
1,010
1
Moonbear said:
Congrats on your acceptance Tom! I did a post-doc up at U of M (not in engineering though :wink:). If you need information about the area, I can help you out with that. One thing to keep in mind about U of M...it's EXPENSIVE to live in Ann Arbor. I don't know how it compares to other places you've applied, but the university only has freshman housing, so you're at the mercy of the slumlords for the remainder of your time there. Even if you're going on scholarships (I don't know if you are or not), those don't pay for off-campus housing, so you'd still have to foot the bill on that. If you can afford it, then the program is great. I guess since you already live in MI, I don't need to warn you about the weather. :biggrin: (It took me a year to thaw out after living in MI :rofl:).
lol...
thanks for the adivce... actually U of M would probably be the cheapest school for me, which is Why I am looking at it so extensivly. If I get into MIT that would be almost 4x as expensive. Most other colleges outside of state will be 2x as expensive. Plus my parents were able to buy 2 full years of tution to michigan school through some program a long time ago. So going to michigan school may be nice for that reason, although my brother will prob stay in michigan so I am not forced to stay. I am still considering applying to Cornell, Columbia, Cal-tech, Olin.... I have really gotten some intersting things about Olin, but its just so damn hard to get into. If you haven't heard of Olin I wouldn't be surprised... it's brand new, but take a look at it. Its harder to get into than MIT or Cal-tech it looks like.
 

Related Threads on College Admissions

  • Last Post
Replies
2
Views
3K
Replies
10
Views
3K
Replies
3
Views
2K
Replies
4
Views
3K
Replies
3
Views
736
Replies
8
Views
3K
Replies
8
Views
4K
Replies
2
Views
2K
Top