Understanding Negative Exponents in College Algebra

In summary, I am having some problems simplifying some basic functions in college algebra. I would greatly appreciate any help that can be given.
Cod
I recently started college and I'm in the first Math class, College Algebra. I'm having some problems with simplifying some basic functions if anyone can help me out.

Problems like:

Example 1: x^-2 - y^-2 / x^-1 + y^-1

Example 2: x^-1 + y^-1 / (x+y)^-1

If you noticed, I seem to be having problems with the problems involving negative squares. Any help on how to work these problems is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by turning those negative rascals positive. That is, X^-1 becomes 1/X, etc. After you've done that take another look at your problem (it will be less confusing then) and decide on your next course of action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Example 1: x^-2 - y^-2 / x^-1 + y^-1

So the correct answer would be:

2y - 2x / y + x ??

I'm a bit confused by your order of operation, in example 1 do you mean:

(x-2 - y-2)/(x-1 + y-1) ?

Originally posted by jcsd
I'm a bit confused by your order of operation, in example 1 do you mean:

(x-2 - y-2)/(x-1 + y-1) ?

That is correct. Sorry I couldn't make it look better. I'm not familiar with the coding for making squares and such.

First rule: If there is any chance of ambiguity, use parentheses!

The formula you give first: x^-2 - y^-2 / x^-1 + y^-1
could be interpreted as x-2- (y-2/x-1)+ y-1 or as (x-2-y-2)/(x-1+ y-1).

The first of the two would be technically correct but I suspect you mean the second.
To simplify (x-2-y-2)/(x-1+ y-1), multiply both numerator and denominator by x2y2 (this is essentially the same as multiplying several fractions by the least common denominator).

You get (y2- x2)/(xy2-x2y). Now factor and simplify.

So the correct answer would be:

2y - 2x / y + x ??
Not according to my calculations.

Cod,
Could you show what the problem looked like immediately after making the exponents positive?
[edit]
Cod,
Scratch that. Better do it as HallsofIvy's showed (if you can figure out where the X2Y2 comes from, that is).

[edit]
HallsofIvy,
Did you type in a '-' where a '+' was supposed to go?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Boulderhead, I did slip an extra negative into that.

It should be (y2- x2)/(xy2+x2y).

I must have rocks in my head!

You're welcome.

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
… I must have rocks in my head!
Why, that's nothing at all. I’m running a regular sand and gravel business over on my end!

What is College Algebra?

College Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic equations and functions. It is typically taken as a core course in college and is a prerequisite for many higher-level math courses.

Why is College Algebra important?

College Algebra is important because it helps develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills. It also provides a foundation for understanding more advanced mathematics and other fields such as science, engineering, and economics.

What topics are covered in College Algebra?

Some of the topics covered in College Algebra include equations and inequalities, functions and their graphs, polynomials, rational and radical expressions, exponential and logarithmic functions, and systems of equations.

Do I need to have a strong math background to do well in College Algebra?

While a strong math background can certainly be helpful, it is not necessary to do well in College Algebra. With dedication and practice, anyone can succeed in this course.

How can I prepare for College Algebra?

To prepare for College Algebra, it is recommended to review basic algebra concepts such as solving equations, simplifying expressions, and graphing. It can also be beneficial to practice with online resources or textbooks before starting the course.