1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses College Algebra

1. Jan 6, 2017 #1
    Is this precalculus minus trig?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2017 #2

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes.

4. Jan 6, 2017 #3
    This can vary by implementation. In College Algebra courses I have seen, they tend to be closer to a high school Algebra 2 than high school Pre-Calc minus trig. The big differences are: inclusion of more complex numbers, more on matrices and systems of equations (3x3's), and more on the fundamental theorem of algrbra and polynomials. In contrast, most Pre-Calc courses have less of those things to make room not only for trig, but for exponentials, logs, and limits.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2017
  5. Jan 6, 2017 #4

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Maybe things have changed. All I have to refer to is my own having had studied course many years ago (Pre-Calculus = College Algebra + Trigonometry = Elementary Functions), course descriptions in the college catalogs, some reference textbooks that I've picked up over the years. I studied the full deal, and it was tough going. The course skimped on a few things about linear algebra and a bit on Binomial Theorem but had everything else.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted