Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: College Biology Help

  1. Feb 14, 2006 #1

    In my Medical Microbiology class, the prof introduced the process of translation during protein synthesis. For prokaryotes: 70S, eukaryotes: 80S. Just a question.....I know that "S" is a unit, but what type of unit is it called? In other words, what does the "S" stand for? If anyone can tell me, that'd be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2006 #2
    It is related to the size of the ribosomes in terms of protein subunits.

    The S stands for Svedbergs. It is related to the sedimentation rate of the ribosomes in a centrifuge at high speed.

    Hope that helps.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook