College Board AP Calculus Exams

In summary, the conversation discusses the recommendation for taking the AB or BC exam for AP Calculus. It is mentioned that taking the BC exam can still earn AB credit and is highly recommended for those who plan to pursue mathematics in the future. It is also suggested to take practice tests and assess one's understanding of the AB material before deciding to take the BC exam.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member
I've recently started thinking about which exam I want to take for AP Calculus, and I'm wondering from those of you who have taken it or know details - is the AB or BC exam recommended? I've taken all of the AB and BC material, but I'm not sure if I can handle that quantity of material or want to risk taking it and scoring lower than I would in the AB; however, it's worth a lot more points. What exactly do I need to know (with more specifics that the College Board gives at http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/ap/sub_calbc.html?calcbc")?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you should know that you can still get AB credit if you take the BC test. If you're going to be focusing on mathematics or some variant (mathematical sciences) in the future, I highly recommend you take BC. In fact, I recommend BC always. If you don't think you can handle the BC courseload, try taking a few AB practice tests right now. You should know all of the AB material right now, and you should be within the 5s range. Then you'll have plenty of time to go over the BC material. If you don't score very well, that just means you have to try a bit harder and work more during the next few months. It really depends on whether you can handle the load I guess.

1. What is the format of the College Board AP Calculus Exams?

The College Board AP Calculus Exams consist of two sections: a multiple-choice section and a free-response section. The multiple-choice section contains 45 questions and is 1 hour and 45 minutes long. The free-response section contains 6 questions and is 1 hour and 30 minutes long.

2. How is the multiple-choice section of the exam scored?

The multiple-choice section of the exam is scored based on the number of correct answers. Each question is worth 1 point, and there is no penalty for incorrect answers. The total score for this section is out of 45 points.

3. What types of questions are included in the free-response section?

The free-response section includes a mix of questions, including conceptual questions, graphing and analysis questions, and application problems. Some questions may also require students to show their work or provide explanations for their solutions.

4. How is the free-response section of the exam scored?

The free-response section of the exam is scored by trained AP Calculus readers. Each question is scored on a scale of 0-9, with partial credit given for partially correct answers. The total score for this section is out of 54 points, with 9 points possible for each question.

5. How can I prepare for the College Board AP Calculus Exams?

There are many resources available to help students prepare for the AP Calculus Exams, including practice exams, review books, and online resources. It is also important for students to have a strong understanding of the concepts covered in their AP Calculus course and to regularly practice solving problems and working with calculus equations.