Is the College Board AP Physics exam worth stressing over?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of the College Board AP Physics exam and the concern over preparing for it. Recommendations are made for review books such as "Princeton Review Cracking the AP Exam" and "5 Steps to a Five" as well as practicing old AP exam questions. The importance of understanding the scoring rubrics and focusing on areas of strength is also mentioned. Overall, the consensus is that the exam is manageable with proper preparation and is not a major concern for those interested in physics.
jacksonpeeble
Gold Member
Has anyone here taken the College Board AP Physics exam? I'm currently taking AP Physics online and hate it (more because it's online than the difficulty of the content, though, I think). I'd like the college credit, but it can hurt if I do poorly, too, and I'm not sure how well I'll be prepared. What does it really cover?

Physics news on Phys.org
jacksonpeeble said:
Has anyone here taken the College Board AP Physics exam?

Are you talking about the physics B or C exam?

Either way. If you want to know what it covers get a "princeton review carcking the ap exam" book or "5 steps to a five". They will give you a good overview of all of the sections and are also good for a review before the exam. It is a good learning tool as well. Especially since you are taking the course online, it is good to have a book like this as a guide.

DR13 said:
Are you talking about the physics B or C exam?
I'll apparently be prepared to take either, but I would only consider taking the B exam.

DR13 said:
Either way. If you want to know what it covers get a "princeton review carcking the ap exam" book or "5 steps to a five". They will give you a good overview of all of the sections and are also good for a review before the exam. It is a good learning tool as well. Especially since you are taking the course online, it is good to have a book like this as a guide.
Thanks for the advice - I've looked at the 5 steps to a 5 books before, and I think that's a good idea. I appreciate your response!

I'm still sort of curious, however, as to whether or not there are things that I should especially watch out for (based on others' experiences).

jacksonpeeble said:
I'm still sort of curious, however, as to whether or not there are things that I should especially watch out for (based on others' experiences).

This can vary from person to person. My advice would be to do old ap test questions and see what you struggle with. Also, be sure to look at the scoring rubrics for the questions. This will give you an idea of what they want you to write (relevant equations, when to put in units, etc).

Are you going to college to major in physics? I am currently a physics undergrad and I have other physics major friends who went into college placed out of the first three semesters of calculus but are taking into physics. Other than saving a money for the intro physics class, I wouldn't sweat the AP Exam too much. My only advice is to make sure that you are 100 percent sure of the things that you are strong at.

The AP exam is a joke for anyone that is remotely interested in physics. It's nothing to worry over as long as you buy the review book and practice a few questions.

Leptos said:
The AP exam is a joke for anyone that is remotely interested in physics. It's nothing to worry over as long as you buy the review book and practice a few questions.

I'll second this. Focus on studying for the short answer questions, i thought those were exponentially harder than the multiple choice. If you know your stuff well, your only enemy will be the time limit. Good luck!

What is the College Board AP Physics Exam?

The College Board AP Physics Exam is a standardized test created by the College Board to assess a student's understanding and knowledge of physics at the college level. It is typically taken by high school students who have completed an AP Physics course.

What topics are covered on the AP Physics Exam?

The AP Physics Exam covers a wide range of topics including mechanics, electricity and magnetism, thermodynamics, waves and optics, and modern physics. It also includes both multiple choice and free-response questions.

How is the AP Physics Exam scored?

The AP Physics Exam is scored on a scale of 1-5, with 5 being the highest score. The multiple choice section is worth 50% of the total score, and the free-response section is worth the other 50%. The scores are then combined to determine the final score.

Do I need to take a specific course to prepare for the AP Physics Exam?

While it is not required to take a specific course, it is highly recommended to take an AP Physics course before taking the exam. This will provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to perform well on the exam.

How can I prepare for the AP Physics Exam?

There are many ways to prepare for the AP Physics Exam, including studying course materials, taking practice exams, and reviewing previous exams. It is also helpful to work on problems and practice applying concepts to real-world scenarios.