1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Testing College Board AP Physics Exam

1. Jan 29, 2010 #1

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

Has anyone here taken the College Board AP Physics exam? I'm currently taking AP Physics online and hate it (more because it's online than the difficulty of the content, though, I think). I'd like the college credit, but it can hurt if I do poorly, too, and I'm not sure how well I'll be prepared. What does it really cover?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2010 #2
    Are you talking about the physics B or C exam?

Either way. If you want to know what it covers get a "princeton review carcking the ap exam" book or "5 steps to a five". They will give you a good overview of all of the sections and are also good for a review before the exam. It is a good learning tool as well. Especially since you are taking the course online, it is good to have a book like this as a guide.

4. Jan 29, 2010 #3

jacksonpeeble

Gold Member

I'll apparently be prepared to take either, but I would only consider taking the B exam.

Thanks for the advice - I've looked at the 5 steps to a 5 books before, and I think that's a good idea. I appreciate your response!

I'm still sort of curious, however, as to whether or not there are things that I should especially watch out for (based on others' experiences).

5. Jan 29, 2010 #4
    This can vary from person to person. My advice would be to do old ap test questions and see what you struggle with. Also, be sure to look at the scoring rubrics for the questions. This will give you an idea of what they want you to write (relevant equations, when to put in units, etc).

6. Jan 29, 2010 #5
    Are you going to college to major in physics? I am currently a physics undergrad and I have other physics major friends who went into college placed out of the first three semesters of calculus but are taking into physics. Other than saving a money for the intro physics class, I wouldn't sweat the AP Exam too much. My only advice is to make sure that you are 100 percent sure of the things that you are strong at.

7. Jan 29, 2010 #6
    The AP exam is a joke for anyone that is remotely interested in physics. It's nothing to worry over as long as you buy the review book and practice a few questions.

8. Jan 31, 2010 #7
    I'll second this. Focus on studying for the short answer questions, i thought those were exponentially harder than the multiple choice. If you know your stuff well, your only enemy will be the time limit. Good luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook