College calculus vs AP Calc AB

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between Calculus in high school and college, with some participants stating that AP Calculus may be more challenging than a community college version. The conversation also mentions that college courses can be more difficult due to the competing workload. It is also noted that taking AP Calculus in high school can be beneficial because it introduces students to the material and makes it more familiar in college. Overall, the participants have varying experiences with Calculus, with some finding it easier in high school and others finding it more difficult in college.
fifaking7
Hi guys,
I'm deciding a career in the biological sciences but will need calculus 1 and II. knowing that many of you are probably in college or in your fields, I want to know how similar Calc 1 and college calc are. I'm really bad at Calc this year, currently with a B- and want to know how much harder was calc 1 for you?

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the college. I believe AP calculus is "tougher" than the community college version. On the other hand, a 4 year university version tends to be more tougher than the others.

My observation is based on a sample of 1 CC, 2 APs and 1 Univ calc 1 courses.

I'm taking about a top ranked 4 year university. Does it help significantly if you have ap experience?

I think studying for the AP Calc AB test in high school was very easy because it was my only 'real' concern. Once you get to college, your studies start competing more. A typical first and second semester for a student in the sciences can be quite rigorous and require LOTS of work for every class.

For that reason I think Calc high school courses are easier than college courses (of any type). Put in a vacuum - I think there are a lot of variables to consider as to which is tougher. In college - you just have competing rigorous classes, which I think for most is the dominant factor for making some classes 'harder'.

I'll also like to add this. The real advantage to AP Calculus in high school is that you can absolutely fail that exam and still pass the test. It's really stupid how that works, but it is what it is.

Of course it will help you if you took calc in high school because taking it in college. You've already been exposed to the problems and know the ideas that will be used. As a biology major (or focus or whatever) you won't have the horror of taking a proof based calc course, but rather just a tedious one. It will all seem very familiar to you.

I hope that I can get at least an A- in the class when I go to college. I didn't do so well first half of my first semester 82/100 but I'm improving in my mind coming from a math class that was not honors

Math was the only subject I did well on when I first attending school. I took AP Calculus in high school and then again a few years later because I took a few years off. I earned A's both times, however, I felt it was more difficult in college (even though I was essentially relearning the material) simply because of what Mege said: it's no longer your only "real" concern.

1. What is the difference between college calculus and AP Calc AB?

College calculus is a course typically taken during the first or second year of college, while AP Calc AB is a high school course that can earn students college credit if they pass the AP exam. Both courses cover similar topics, but college calculus may go into more depth and cover additional material.

2. Which course is more rigorous, college calculus or AP Calc AB?

This can vary depending on the instructor and institution, but in general, college calculus is considered more rigorous. It is often a more fast-paced course with higher expectations for understanding and application of concepts.

3. Can I take both college calculus and AP Calc AB?

Yes, it is possible to take both courses. However, it is important to check with your school and make sure the courses do not overlap too much in terms of content. It may also be a heavy workload to take both courses at the same time.

4. Will I receive college credit for taking AP Calc AB?

If you pass the AP exam with a score of 3 or higher, most colleges and universities will grant you credit for the course. However, it is ultimately up to the individual institution to decide their credit policies for AP scores.

5. Is AP Calc AB a good preparation for college calculus?

Yes, AP Calc AB is designed to be a rigorous and comprehensive course that prepares students for college calculus. It covers many of the same topics and can help students develop the necessary skills and understanding for success in college calculus.