1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College essay for physics

1. Oct 6, 2015 #1
    hi
    i am applying to Georgia tech and there a question that asking about what you want to do in future .
    so i am writing that i will get physics degree then for advance study i will enroll in grad school and after my phd i would like to work as a scientist in NASA astronomy department .
    what I am worried is about that may be college is asking to be specific about your future but at this age without any good knowledge how can I be physics .Obviously I can not write about that how I will get up everyday and get ready for my dream job specifically doing a apart of job that will just sound i have predicted future .
    so is it fine to write in broad terms.
    thanks a lot any help appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2015 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Already, it shows that you really haven't done even minor "background research" on this.

First of all, they're asking you want you envision as your career and your contribution, NOT where you think you will work.

Secondly, do you think NASA has an official "astronomy department" as in a school?

Thirdly, if you look at most of the papers that you think were out of NASA, you will see that the majority of those people actually do NOT work for NASA. NASA, as an agency, often contracts out work, and also funds projects to other institutions. So all those Mars mission, all those space probes, etc. are often led by individuals from other institutions who are not NASA employees. What if the institution you are applying to was one of these institutions, and that you simply did not recognize their major contribution to many of the NASA projects? In other words, have you truly done your homework?

Finally, if I were to see such a statement in a student's application, my first impression is that this student is more interested in having a stature of getting to say "Oh, I work for NASA", rather than actually being a good astronomer. Otherwise, why would one even narrow down to wanting to work for a particular place instead of a particular vocation?

So even without going into details, your broad description by itself already has problems.

Zz.

4. Oct 6, 2015 #3

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Your English is very difficult to read. You may want somebody else to proof read your essay if this is the best you can do.

5. Oct 6, 2015 #4
    i am really sorry for that. I actually never proofread my post . Really thanks for that comment I really need to proof read my posts.
    thanks

6. Oct 6, 2015 #5
    Thanks a lot for all the information .I really appreciate for your help .Now I might go and do some homework .Can I post the essay after a 2 days? .I just want somebody experienced as you to read my essay and give some advice.
    thanks a lot
    yours sincerely
    ujjwal-3097

7. Oct 6, 2015 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Sure, you can post the essay here!

8. Oct 6, 2015 #7
    thanks a lot sir

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook