Is it Okay to Write Broadly About Future Goals for a College Physics Essay?

In summary: I am going to do as you said .In summary, the person applying to Georgia Tech is struggling with a question about their future plans and is wondering if it is acceptable to write in broad terms. They mention wanting to get a physics degree, attend grad school and work as a scientist in NASA's astronomy department. However, they are concerned that their lack of knowledge at this age may make it difficult to be specific about their future plans. The expert advises that the question is asking about the applicant's career and contribution, not where they want to work, and suggests doing more research on NASA's structure and contributions before writing the essay. The person also asks for the expert's help in proofreading their essay before posting it
ujjwal3097
hi
i am applying to Georgia tech and there a question that asking about what you want to do in future .
so i am writing that i will get physics degree then for advance study i will enroll in grad school and after my phd i would like to work as a scientist in NASA astronomy department .
what I am worried is about that may be college is asking to be specific about your future but at this age without any good knowledge how can I be physics .Obviously I can not write about that how I will get up everyday and get ready for my dream job specifically doing a apart of job that will just sound i have predicted future .
so is it fine to write in broad terms.
thanks a lot any help appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
ujjwal3097 said:
hi
i am applying to Georgia tech and there a question that asking about what you want to do in future .
so i am writing that i will get physics degree then for advance study i will enroll in grad school and after my phd i would like to work as a scientist in NASA astronomy department .
what I am worried is about that may be college is asking to be specific about your future but at this age without any good knowledge how can I be physics .Obviously I can not write about that how I will get up everyday and get ready for my dream job specifically doing a apart of job that will just sound i have predicted future .
so is it fine to write in broad terms.
thanks a lot any help appreciated

Already, it shows that you really haven't done even minor "background research" on this.

First of all, they're asking you want you envision as your career and your contribution, NOT where you think you will work.

Secondly, do you think NASA has an official "astronomy department" as in a school?

Thirdly, if you look at most of the papers that you think were out of NASA, you will see that the majority of those people actually do NOT work for NASA. NASA, as an agency, often contracts out work, and also funds projects to other institutions. So all those Mars mission, all those space probes, etc. are often led by individuals from other institutions who are not NASA employees. What if the institution you are applying to was one of these institutions, and that you simply did not recognize their major contribution to many of the NASA projects? In other words, have you truly done your homework?

Finally, if I were to see such a statement in a student's application, my first impression is that this student is more interested in having a stature of getting to say "Oh, I work for NASA", rather than actually being a good astronomer. Otherwise, why would one even narrow down to wanting to work for a particular place instead of a particular vocation?

So even without going into details, your broad description by itself already has problems.

Zz.

Likes ujjwal3097
Your English is very difficult to read. You may want somebody else to proof read your essay if this is the best you can do.

Likes ujjwal3097
micromass said:
Your English is very difficult to read. You may want somebody else to proof read your essay if this is the best you can do.
i am really sorry for that. I actually never proofread my post . Really thanks for that comment I really need to proof read my posts.
thanks

ZapperZ said:
Already, it shows that you really haven't done even minor "background research" on this.

First of all, they're asking you want you envision as your career and your contribution, NOT where you think you will work.

Secondly, do you think NASA has an official "astronomy department" as in a school?

Thirdly, if you look at most of the papers that you think were out of NASA, you will see that the majority of those people actually do NOT work for NASA. NASA, as an agency, often contracts out work, and also funds projects to other institutions. So all those Mars mission, all those space probes, etc. are often led by individuals from other institutions who are not NASA employees. What if the institution you are applying to was one of these institutions, and that you simply did not recognize their major contribution to many of the NASA projects? In other words, have you truly done your homework?

Finally, if I were to see such a statement in a student's application, my first impression is that this student is more interested in having a stature of getting to say "Oh, I work for NASA", rather than actually being a good astronomer. Otherwise, why would one even narrow down to wanting to work for a particular place instead of a particular vocation?

So even without going into details, your broad description by itself already has problems.

Zz.
Thanks a lot for all the information .I really appreciate for your help .Now I might go and do some homework .Can I post the essay after a 2 days? .I just want somebody experienced as you to read my essay and give some advice.
thanks a lot
yours sincerely
ujjwal-3097

Sure, you can post the essay here!

micromass said:

micromass said:
Sure, you can post the essay here!
thanks a lot sir

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What should I focus on when writing a college essay for physics?

When writing a college essay for physics, it is important to focus on clearly explaining your understanding of the topic and supporting it with evidence and examples. You should also demonstrate your critical thinking skills and ability to analyze and interpret data.

2. How long should a college essay for physics be?

The length of a college essay for physics can vary, but it is typically recommended to be between 500-1000 words. This allows you enough space to fully develop your ideas and arguments without being too long and repetitive.

3. Should I use technical terms and equations in my essay?

It is important to use technical terms and equations in your essay, as they are essential in the field of physics. However, make sure to define and explain them clearly for readers who may not be familiar with them. Use them sparingly and only when necessary to support your argument.

4. Do I need to include references in my essay?

Yes, it is important to include references in your essay to acknowledge the sources of your information and to avoid plagiarism. Make sure to use a consistent citation style, such as APA or MLA, and properly format your references according to the guidelines given by your instructor.

5. Can I use personal experiences in my college essay for physics?

Using personal experiences can add a unique perspective to your essay, but make sure they are relevant and support your argument. Avoid using them as the main focus of your essay and always tie them back to the topic at hand.