College Essay Help: Jumpstarting Ideas for Early Action

• Schools
  • Thread starter Doctor Elect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College Essay
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking advice on how to start their college application essay. They have four prompts to choose from, but are having trouble finding a good starting point. They mention having a few ideas, but are unsatisfied with them. The advice given is to be specific and to make sure their personality shines through in their writing. The person is also reminded that the essay is not the only factor in the admissions process and there is no guarantee of acceptance.
Doctor Elect
I've never been quite sure if academic advise that is not related to science is allowed here but I'll post it here anyway.
I'm writing a college application essay. I'm having some trouble getting started. I have 4 to write but this one is the longest and most dificult.
I have a choice between
A. If you could have one picture what would it be and why?
B. What has someone said that is meaningful to you and why is it meaningful?
I don't want you to give me an idea or anything. I just need help finding a jumping off point.
All the ideas I've had have been unsatisfactory. But I will post them for the hope that perhaps I was wrong I have a golden idea.
A.
It would of my bedroom. I was going to talk about how the room has memories going back to 2nd grade and how it really shows who I am.
B
It would be "you did the right thing" then I would go into philosophical about how one can never really know if one is doing the right thing because the mind tends to want to agree with itself and how that statement is one of comfort because it confirms you are on the right path. It was supposed to show how I can be analytical.
or
I was going to talk a rivalry I have with a friend and the meaningful thing would be "good job" because we support each other even as we mock each other.
Say hello to cliche, doesn't say anything about me, and silly.
I would prefer to get it done in time for early action but I don't really care.

Physics news on Phys.org
I've never actually been on an admission committee, so I could be completely wrong, but I've always thought that this sort of essay is more a test of how well you can write and have your personality shine through than anything else. If you're willing to believe this, it sounds like A. would be your best bet.

Whichever you choose though, please be specific. Talk about a particular picture, or a particular instance when someone said something to you. You want to stand out here, and generalities just won't do that.

And of course if you don't get in, it's not my fault! :-)

I understand the importance of having a clear and focused approach when tackling a problem. In this case, your problem is finding a jumping off point for your college application essay. I can offer some suggestions to help you get started, but ultimately the essay should reflect your own unique experiences and perspectives.

First, take some time to reflect on your personal journey and what has shaped you into the person you are today. This could include significant events, people, or experiences that have had a lasting impact on you. From there, you can choose one of the prompts and use it as a lens to explore and showcase your personal growth and development.

For example, if you choose prompt A, you could use the picture of your bedroom as a representation of your personal journey. You could discuss the memories and milestones that have taken place in that room and how they have shaped your character and values. This would allow the admissions committee to gain insight into your personal story and what makes you unique.

Alternatively, if you choose prompt B, you could use the meaningful phrase "you did the right thing" as a starting point to explore your personal values and decision-making process. You could discuss a specific situation where you had to make a difficult decision and how this phrase has guided you in your choices. This would demonstrate your critical thinking skills and self-awareness.

Overall, the key is to choose a prompt that allows you to showcase your personal growth and development, as well as your unique perspective and character. Avoid cliches and generic responses, and use personal anecdotes and examples to make your essay stand out. Good luck with your essay and your college application process.

1. What is the purpose of a college essay?

A college essay is a written piece that is part of the application process for colleges and universities. It is used to give admissions officers a better understanding of who you are beyond your grades and test scores. The purpose of a college essay is to showcase your unique personality, experiences, and goals to help you stand out from other applicants.

2. How can "Jumpstarting Ideas for Early Action" help with my college essay?

"Jumpstarting Ideas for Early Action" is a resource that provides helpful tips and techniques for generating ideas and inspiration for your college essay. It can help you brainstorm and organize your thoughts, as well as provide examples of successful essays to guide your writing process.

3. Can I use someone else's ideas or content in my college essay?

No, it is important to only use your own ideas and words in your college essay. Plagiarism, or using someone else's work without proper credit, is a serious offense and could result in your application being rejected. It is important to be authentic and genuine in your writing.

4. Is it okay to have others read and give feedback on my college essay?

Yes, it can be helpful to have others read and give feedback on your college essay. This can include teachers, counselors, or family members who can provide constructive criticism and help improve your essay. However, make sure to stay true to your own voice and ideas.

5. When should I start working on my college essay?

It is recommended to start working on your college essay as early as possible, ideally in the summer before your senior year of high school. This will give you enough time to brainstorm, write, and revise multiple drafts before submitting your final essay. Starting early can also help reduce stress and allow for more thoughtful and polished writing.