1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College Euclidean Geometry

1. Sep 3, 2008 #1
    I have this question:

Inside a square ABDE, take a point C so that CDE is an isosceles triangle with angles 15 degrees at D and E. What kind of triangle is ABC?

I put C close to the bottom to get my isosceles triangle. According to the answer in back, the triangle ABC is equilateral. The hint that went along with the answer is pick a point F to make a triangle congruent to triangle CDE. Are there theorems that I am missing to see how this could work out? I've spent a while on this and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

have you tried law of cosines?

4. Sep 3, 2008 #3
    In this excercise, I have to do the proof using various Euclidean theorems. It's a practice excercise from Coxeter's Geometry book. The hint says to create a point F such that BF is perpendicular to CD aof the equilateral triangle CDF. Hence BC=BD=AB: and ABC is equilateral

I'm not sure how that happens

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?