Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College Football '08

1. Sep 2, 2007 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Time for the annual College Football trash talking thread. This one's dedicated to Hypatia and Chi Meson (and to Moonbear, if she wants it) and their Alma Mater, Fichigan (hmmm...did I spell that right?).

Noteworthy score of the week: (erstwhile #5 ranked) Wolverines lose to Appalachian State (who?), at home.

Other results of interest :
    (#7) Wisconsin thumps WSU Cougs (42-21)
    (#4) Texas struggles to hold off Arkansas State (21-13)
    (#9) Hokies blame lacklustre offense on emotional state
    (#12) Cal Bears smash (#15) Vols with high-powered offense (45-31)

...and I was in the lab all day, and didn't watch a single game! :frown:

Go Buckeyes!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2007 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It's going to be fun to watch Notre Dame this year! :rofl:

4. Sep 2, 2007 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I knew I'd left out a big one! Another lesson in that game is that it doesn't pay to underestimate the yellowjackets - they've been playing pretty good these last couple seasons. And this must be sweet revenge for them too, having lost last year's season opener to ND.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  5. Sep 2, 2007 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I am still laughing my you-know-what off about U of M :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Serves those stuck up morons right. My hat is off to those guys at Appalachia State for going into the "The Big House" and not letting them intimidate them.

6. Sep 2, 2007 #5

jtbell

I normally wouldn't have seen this game because I don't have cable or satellite TV and therefore don't have access to the Big Ten Network. However, yesterday I happened to be in a Best Buy store that was showing the game on one of its big-screen TVs, and I watched most of the last quarter. It was definitely a wild finish, right up to the blocked Michigan field goal at the very end that finally lost the game for them.

I took some ribbing as the only Michigan fan in a cluster of AppState fans (Boone NC is up in the mountains not terribly far from here), but I'm happy for them anyway.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2007
  7. Sep 2, 2007 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ooh wait...I think I messed up. You're the UM alumnus, not Chi.

8. Sep 8, 2007 #7

russ_watters

Notre Dame/Penn State - such a fun game.

I can't wait until Navy plays Notre Dame!

And how 'bout Michigan again?

9. Sep 8, 2007 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd really like to see where all the "experts" that came up with the preseason rankings are hiding their faces right now.

10. Sep 8, 2007 #9

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

U of M didn't just lose today. Oy. What a butt kicking.

There is a lot of talk about expanding the "allowable" schools in the rankings now. It's good to hear.

11. Sep 8, 2007 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They definitely overestimated Appalachian St. Those chumps barely beat Michigan. I don't think they'll make it a three-peat in I-AA. (They did, however, manage to beat Lenoir-Rhyne, a Lutheran school of 1600, pretty easily.)

12. Sep 8, 2007 #11

russ_watters

Seriously, the papers are opening the rankings up to I-AA schools, but A-state won't make it just by beating Michigan.

13. Sep 9, 2007 #12
    Speaking of college football, I was at the UA-NAU game today. It was so ****ing amazing! 52 thousand people. I still can't get over at how amazing home games are.

14. Sep 9, 2007 #13

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoo Hoo...Buffalo beat Temple, they aren't the worst in college football.......Go Bulls!!!!!!!!

15. Oct 6, 2007 #14
    Geez, no posts in a month?? Anyway, just to give it a little bump.....

On a Buckeye note, I'm pretty darn happy after the happenings last week that we've moved up to number four in the polls. Hopefully, with Florida beating LSU today and Cal-v-USC later this season, our beloved Buckeyes might actually be playing again for the title!!

GO BUCKS!!!

P.S. How's the mood in Columbus Gokul43201?

16. Oct 6, 2007 #15

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How woudl I nkow ,I"m tooo busy gettiNg (hic) drukn! Cheersh! Go Bucksh!

<after an instant sober up>

Today's game will be the second tough game of the season. The previous biggie was the game at Washington (who'd just come out of a romp against Boise State, and later went on to give USC their biggest scare). I'll admit that the Buckeyes have done a lot better than I'd expected preseason (heck, I wasn't the only one that didn't give them a chance - how do you go to the championship game and then begin the next season ranked at 11?). In fact, their somewhat lacklustre performance in the first two games was closer to my general expectation of them. But they grew the hell up during halftime in Seattle and become a hugely improved team.

I'm still pretty nervous about the Purdue game tonight (as are most sensible Buckeyes). Purdue is still something of a question mark...and probably an underrated one. They had a solid game against the Irish (but that's not saying much) last week, and no real challenge before that.

Meanwhile...the Illini are dismantling Wisconsin (17-0). Holy, freaking COW!

Speaking of which, I wonder if Zz will be going to Urbana-Champaign next week for the 50th Anniversary celebration of the BCS (that's Bardeen-Cooper-Schrieffer, not Bowl Championship Series) paper. The locals would love to have a Badger alumnus to ...well, badger.

17. Oct 13, 2007 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kentucky knocks down LSU in 3OT! Mamma mia! What a game!

18. Oct 14, 2007 #17

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

With #2 Cal losing as well, this has been one wacky weekend and one wacky season so far! I love it!

:)

Zz.

19. Oct 14, 2007 #18
    Will the real #1 please stand up?

I was envisioning a repeat of the LSU-Florida game when LSU got the ball back with around 1:30 left in the 4th quarter. Great game. Thank you Kentucky!

The Cal game wasn't televised so I was watching the scores scroll by, it was fourth and 17 on the cal 20 (or something) with less than a minute left. Next thing I know 1st and 10 at opp. 12 with around :30 left. NOooooo! But wait, Cal didn't score? What, it's over? The Buckeyes #1? Hey, I'll take it any way I can get it. Thank you (the other) OSU!

Let's get some predictions, what, Ohio State-v-Oklahoma in the final?

20. Nov 23, 2007 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woooohooooo!!!!

PS: LSU lost to Darren McFadden in 3OT!

21. Nov 24, 2007 #20

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Losing is one thing, but a #1 ranked team letting an opponent score 50 points??!!!

And Texas going down to Texas A&M? What would make this "perfect" will be Kansas going down next.

I LOVE this season of College Football!!! It makes all the football pundits look utterly silly! :)

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?