Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College Football

1. Sep 3, 2004 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, the football season is starting in the US. Use this thread to discuss College Football, cheer your team on, boo another team, or whatever...

I shall kick this thread off by swearing my allegiance to...The Ohio State University, 2002 College Football National Champions.

Go Buckeyes !! :approve:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2004 #2
    As a person who has lived 18 years in the state of Nebraska and now attends University of Nebraska At Lincoln, I will be rooting on the Cornhuskers all the way and will most likely be at all of the home games excluding this week's. Its a new offense this year and hopefully it will change the Big XII so that we return to dominance.

4. Sep 4, 2004 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Oh, I'm gonna make it a point to boo all the other teams, so here goes...

Booo Huskies. :yuck: :yuck: You're time's over, step aside...wait, you already did !! :devil:

5. Sep 4, 2004 #4
    Not a huge fan of college football, but.... Go Hawkeyes!!

Paden Roder

P.S.- Mattius, this has nothing to do with this discussion, but I am in Omaha every Sunday playing in a wooden bat league for StrikeZone Omaha. I've probably seen ya on the streets!!!

just a little fact for ya.

6. Sep 4, 2004 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, when is someone goona grow up in the Big XII and maybe put up a halfway decent fight againt OU ? Not the Longhorns, they're too busy pi$$!ng in the pants to do much. Maybe if Okla State, or Texas Tech get lucky (like '02)?

And last year's Kansas State game doesn't count because...err, ummm...just 'cause.

7. Sep 4, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, we'll see next month when we come over to whoop ya. :approve:

Damn, I'm really shooting my mouth off, aren't I ? I like it...maybe I should try it more often. :tongue:

8. Sep 4, 2004 #7

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not really into sports, but just for Gokul:

Go Blue!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Though, I'm now safely south of that state, so am supposed to be cheering on the Bearcats, whatever a bearcat is. :rolleyes:

9. Sep 4, 2004 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's 'HUSKERS .... I hate it when people get the words wrong.

BIG RED all the way!

(I'm so glad they changed their name from "Bugeaters" to a really cool name. Much better than those nuts on the Olentangy.)

10. Sep 4, 2004 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Grrrrrrr....die die die !!!

Like we like to say out here : Muck Fichigan

11. Sep 4, 2004 #10

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

University of Miami is going to dominate this season. Go CANES!!!

12. Sep 4, 2004 #11

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Out of sight - out of mind. Sorry for the screw up. I wouldn't half think about apologizing for cursing the enemy...but screwing up the name is a boo boo - my bad.

Anyway, Huskers suck ! And the name sucks too ! Buckeyes rule !!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  13. Sep 4, 2004 #12

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yeah, like last season...oh I liked the Miami - V.Tech game...was that fun !!!

14. Sep 4, 2004 #13

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I frequently thought that while living there too, but I wasn't referring to sports. :wink: I hated game days there, it took me an extra half hour to get to the lab with the traffic all the way across town. Thankfully I didn't have to be anywhere near the stadium. Though, if I wasn't in the lab, I'd take advantage and wait for the game to start, then go out and do all my shopping...very quick when the rest of the town is packed into a stadium :biggrin: ...at least as long as I got home before the game finished and the traffic got ridiculous again.

15. Sep 4, 2004 #14

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

speaking of college football...having a little party here tonight for OSU Beavers...I can't remember who they are playin' though...guess I will find out soon enough!

16. Sep 4, 2004 #15

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Kerrie, I'm wondering, which is a worse mascot? Bearcat or Beaver? Neither one seems to strike me as particularly fearsome or tough. Of course it still doesn't help me that I haven't a clue what a bearcat is. Knowing this university, it was probably that they couldn't decide between a bear and a cat and gave up and called themselves the bearcats. :rofl: At least now I feel in good company of others with wimpy sounding mascots :wink: And, sorry, Gokul, but Buckeyes is funny too...being named for a nut! :tongue: But, not like I can wash my hands of that either, living in The Buckeye State right along with you.

Oh, and have to add...that's the kind of football party I like! Nobody knows who's playing, but we're going to have a party anyway! That's why I like hanging out with geeks. I went to one March Madness party last year, and we forgot to ever turn on the game :biggrin: We wound up watching The Simpsons on DVD all night.

17. Sep 4, 2004 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You bet you will ! :surprised: Oregon State gets to play the defending National Champs - LSU !! Your game will be one of the biggest games of this week.

I like the name of the Oregon Stadium - Autzen, also known as the 'Nuthouse' :wink: :rofl:

And please don't call your team OSU, there are 3 OSUs in Div-IA.

18. Sep 4, 2004 #17
    Oh Geez, watch out now, The Nebraska Cornhuskers just beat Western Ill. 56-17, we are going to rage this year!

19. Sep 4, 2004 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hmmm...looks like Bill Callahan's doing something good.

Serna is going to have one miserable journey home from Baton Rouge...hard luck, all you Oregonians, that was one heck of a game.

20. Sep 5, 2004 #19

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Western Illinois, eh ? Wassamattah - you couldn't find a weak enough Div-IA team, so you play Div-IAA teams ?? :eek:

21. Sep 5, 2004 #20
    I AGREE, this is UNSPORTSMANLIKE conduct by the coaches
    they need a rule to make more top 25 teams play each other more often
    real powers must play other top teams more
    and too few do now
    tradisonal instate rivals are one thing,
    but looking for a weak team for a warm up must be banned

miami has been droped by too many teams like FLA and ND that they played every year

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?