College/Job Guidance: Find the Right Path for Your Math Talent

• Schools
  • Thread starter Str8upmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Guidance
In summary, the speaker is a high school student who excels in math and is considering a career in engineering but is unsure about which field to pursue. They have attended a workshop on engineering but were disappointed by the lack of math involved. They are considering mechanical engineering but are open to other options and are seeking advice from the math and science community. They are also considering majoring in math and have provided resources for calculus.
Str8upmath
First off, let me tell you a little bit about me.. I am a Junior in high school currently taking Trigonometry and Pre-Calc (the 2 highest math classes in my school because I go to an extremely small private school) and averaging a 102% between the two. I've also taken Algebra I & II and Geometry with the same results. I plan on taking Calculus I at a local community college my Senior year and would like to attempt to "test out" of College Algebra.

I say these things not to build myself up or to brag but to make a point that math is kinda my thing and I want to pursue a career involving mathematics. Now like most high school kids my age, I am having trouble getting fixed on what I want to major in. Seeing how math came so easy to me, my math teacher, who served as an Engineer in the Navy for 20 years (not sure which discipline) directed me to an engineering workshop at the Peter Kiewit Institute to help me get a better look at what engineers do. The program consisted of 3 seminars: Sustainable Design, an intro to Sketch-Up (great program), and Interior Building Codes & Zone Ordinances with Cost Estimation. Now going to this I expected to do some actual design and run through some examples.. No... :( During the Sustainable Design seminar we were to come up with a way to turn an office building more green but we did not give any design specs or do any math whatsoever. And during the Interior Building Codes & Zone Ordinances with Cost Estimation seminar, we spent 1.5 hours looking up prices in a 600 pg reference book. Going to this workshop actually made me less interested in Engineering, especially architectural and civil because it seemed like most of it was not very math based but more focused on materials sciences.

Now Geometry has been my favorite math so far and I definitely would like to do plenty of math in my career. As of now mechanical engineering looks the most interesting to me. I do not want to estimate costs for a building but would rather design one. I would rather design a rover that can dominate any terrain, not find out which alloy is more 'green'. So based on my opinions and interests, is engineering right for me? If so, which one and why? If not, what would be and why? What college paths are right for me? No matter what your answer, please post your honest, unbiased opinions and thank you for reading. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Str8upmath said:
I do not want to estimate costs for a building but would rather design one. I would rather design a rover that can dominate any terrain, not find out which alloy is more 'green'. So based on my opinions and interests, is engineering right for me? If so, which one and why? If not, what would be and why? What college paths are right for me?
You do want to do engineering or architecture, you just don't like that icky "real world" part of it. You have to think about your budget and materials when designing things, 'cause your boss or client will give you a budget and certain alloys work better than others in a Mars rover. Realistically the project manager or other guys on your team will focus on that and you can probably be the mechanics guy, but you can't escape it all together.
Mechanical engineering has less of a materials focus than civil or architecture (those are the three that look most up your alley) but you still take a course or two in it and it all (budget, materials, etc) shows up in your senior project and some other projects courses.

Which is what I figured. So anyone else have any ideas? Any other jobs that would suit my interests and strengths? I came here because I knew this is where the math and science guys chill and you are the ones that will be able to help me the most. lol

You might consider majoring in math, too, but you can't really know if it's right for you until you've taken an introductory proofs class (which usually has a few semesters of calculus as a pre-requisite).

Here are some calculus resources you might like:

http://www.math.wisc.edu/~Keisler/calc.html
http://ocw.mit.edu/ans7870/resources/Strang/strangtext.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What types of careers are available for someone with a strong math talent?

There are many different career options for individuals with strong math talent. Some common careers include data analyst, statistician, actuary, financial analyst, mathematician, and software engineer. However, there are also many other fields that require strong math skills, such as engineering, economics, and research.

2. How can I determine if a career in math is right for me?

It's important to assess your interests, strengths, and goals to determine if a career in math is the right fit for you. Consider taking math courses in high school or college, participating in math-related extracurricular activities, and talking to professionals in the field. Additionally, internships and job shadowing opportunities can provide valuable insight into the day-to-day tasks and responsibilities of a math-related career.

3. What is the average salary for someone with a math-related career?

The average salary for a math-related career will vary depending on the specific job, location, and level of experience. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the median annual wage for mathematicians and statisticians was $92,030 in May 2020. Keep in mind that with experience and advanced education, this salary can increase significantly.

4. Do I need to major in math to have a successful career in the field?

No, you do not necessarily need to major in math to have a successful career in the field. Many careers in math-related fields require a strong foundation in math, but may also value skills in other areas such as computer science, economics, or business. It's important to research the specific requirements for the career you are interested in pursuing.

5. Are there any resources available to help me find the right path for my math talent?

Yes, there are many resources available to help individuals find the right path for their math talent. Some examples include career counseling services, online career assessments, and informational interviews with professionals in math-related fields. It's also helpful to utilize networking opportunities and attend career fairs to learn more about potential career paths.