Engineering Majors: Job Opportunities & What to Study

In summary, a high school senior student is seeking information about different engineering majors, what people study in these fields, and potential job opportunities. A parent shares their daughter's experience in choosing industrial engineering and finding success in both engineering and marketing roles. The student is interested in learning about other engineering majors as well.
Leaping antalope
Hi, everyone,
I am now a high school senior student (a girl), and I plan to study in the field of engineering in the next four years. I understand that I do not have to choose a specific major in my freshman year, but I would like to learn more about this field from those who are acturally studying engineering (or those who have studied engineering). Could anyone please explain some different engineering majors (such as chemical, electrical, computer, bioengineering, aerospace, civil, mechanical...etc), what people study (not specific courses, but areas of knowledge...), and what are the job opportunities for the major...Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
When my daughter was a senior in HS she decided on Engineering and we went around to several engineering schools in the middle west, examining different programs. She eventually decided on Marquette University, in Milwaukee, and Industrial Engineering as a concentration. I believe people considerations were a major factor in this decistion; Marquette seemed friendly and homey to her, and IE requires more people skills than some of the other disciplines.

In the upshot, she worked several summers at intern positions and on graduation was offered a job as an IE at a big Wisconsin manufacturing company. After a number of productive years as an engineer there she was able to move into marketing, and she in now rising in that field. She continues to be active as an alumna and corporate representative in Marquette engineering opportunities for women.

Thanks...any other engineering majors?

1. What are some common job opportunities for engineering majors?

Engineering majors have a wide range of job opportunities available to them. Some common areas of employment for engineering majors include aerospace, automotive, chemical, civil, computer, electrical, environmental, and mechanical engineering. Job titles may include design engineer, project manager, research engineer, systems analyst, software engineer, and many more. Engineering majors can also work in industries such as healthcare, finance, and consulting.

2. What skills are important for engineering majors to develop?

Engineering majors should have strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to think critically and creatively. They should also have a strong foundation in math, science, and technology, as well as strong communication and teamwork skills. Attention to detail, time management, and the ability to adapt to new technologies and methods are also important skills for engineering majors to develop.

3. What are some important courses to take as an engineering major?

The specific courses required for an engineering major will depend on the specific field of engineering and the program. However, some common courses for all engineering majors include calculus, physics, chemistry, and computer science. Engineering majors should also take courses in their specific field of study, such as circuits for electrical engineering or mechanics for mechanical engineering. Other courses that can be helpful for engineering majors include statistics, economics, and technical writing.

4. How important is hands-on experience for engineering majors?

Hands-on experience is extremely important for engineering majors. It allows them to apply the knowledge and skills they have learned in the classroom to real-world situations. Hands-on experience can be gained through internships, co-ops, research opportunities, and projects in classes. It can also be beneficial to join engineering clubs and organizations to gain hands-on experience and network with professionals in the field.

5. What are some important qualities for engineering majors to possess?

In addition to technical skills and knowledge, engineering majors should possess qualities such as curiosity, creativity, and the ability to think outside the box. They should also have a strong work ethic, perseverance, and a desire to continuously learn and improve. Good communication and teamwork skills are also important, as many engineering projects require collaboration with others. Finally, engineering majors should be detail-oriented, organized, and able to handle pressure and solve problems efficiently.