1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College math

1. Jun 6, 2010 #1
    I’m taking college level math, and I’m worried about my progress. I took my first test in that class last week, and I did terrible. I have always done well in math, but the score I received was the lowest score I’ve ever received any type of test. Our test was “write the question and answer “type question, (not multiple choice) and I’m wondering since this is the first time I’ve ever had this type of test, that this might explain why I did so badly. Can any one relate to this and/or have any advice?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand. What do you mean "write the question and answer"? Aren't you given the question?

Have all your tests before been multiple choice?

4. Jun 7, 2010 #3
    The professor writes the questions on the board so that we can solve them. He doesn't only grade based on your answer, he also checks if you performed the correct steps to solve the problem. And yes, all of the math test that I've ever taken in college have been multiple choice.

5. Jun 7, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That sounds reasonable to me, that your professor grades you on the answer you give, plus the work you did to arrive at your answer. I'm surprised that all of your math tests so far have been multiple choice. These kinds of tests are easier to grade, which is why I suppose that some instructors use them.

Without knowing what you were marked down on, it's difficult to say whether the test format change was the main reason for your lower score.

6. Jun 7, 2010 #5
    Check how he graded it, then ask him about everything you are unclear about.

7. Jun 7, 2010 #6
    I went over the test today with the instructor. It just seems that I got to the correct answers (9 out of 12 questions), but he marked off points because I didn’t make it clear on how I got the answer. I guess that this is a result of using short cuts and taking multiple choice tests for so long. What I used to do was, learn the basic concepts of the material, and just use different test taking techniques. I would always ASE all my exams that way. I just guess that this time around I just have to learn all the material.

8. Jun 8, 2010 #7
    By the way guys , thanks for your responses. Sometimes it's hard for me to get back online, because I work full time and go to school full time, but I always have a chance to respond at some point.
    Ps. The class just started to work on parabolas, and I'm just stoked!

9. Jun 8, 2010 #8

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds...completely crazy. It doesn't make any sense to have multiple choice questions in math tests.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook