College Park or Johns Hopkins?

In summary, the community believes that the two schools are closely ranked, but Johns Hopkins has better faculty. If you end up choosing UMD, you should research the faculty.
marcher138
Hi there, everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum. Hopefully someone out there can help. First off, I'm a physics major. I recently accepted admission to UMD College Park. I know their physics department is stellar, and I was excited to go. I was waiting to get back my financial aid decision, when I got a letter from Johns Hopkins saying that I was accepted and tuition was fully paid for. Now, I'm still not sure how much aid I would be receiving from College Park, and I may not until it's too late, so that's a different issue. The question I have for the community is which program would be better? I know they're closely ranked, so opinions and elaborations would be greatly appreciated. I'm more interested in the theoretical side of physics, and I hope to get my Ph.D. in something related to quantum physics if it helps. Thank you for any help you can offer.

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion, I'd go for JHU because UM-CollegePark has a lot of students (too many for my taste).
You are entering a PhD program there?
In the past, graduate tuition has usually been covered by an assistantship (teaching or research) or a fellowship.

Likes CalcNerd and marcher138
No, I'm just an undergrad now. Sorry, I meant that I eventually hope to get my Ph.D in that field.

My advice would be the same as robphy. Also UMD's campus is really big and sprawled out with many of the physics (undergrad anyway) courses held in older buildings with poor air flow or conditioning. I only have second hand knowledge of JHU's campus, it has a good reputation and the campus is very scenic and while large, isn't as overwhelming (my opinion only, you should visit BOTH campuses as they aren't that far from each other ie see one on a Saturday morning, and visit the other on a Saturday afternoon or attend a college day at both).
-
If you do end up leaning towards UMD, you might also consider UMBC. Quite a bit smaller but a much more modern campus.
-
You may want to research faculty though for any college you choose. But I have found that the most prestigious professors are prestigious for being excellent at publishing and NOT for teaching. There is a site that offers review of college professors. If you are going to be enrolled in a certain professors class, you can judge how good he has been in the past. Knowing professor reviews may also help you decide as well.

What is the difference between College Park and Johns Hopkins?

College Park and Johns Hopkins are two different universities located in Maryland. College Park is a public research university, while Johns Hopkins is a private research university. They also have different areas of focus, with College Park known for its strong programs in engineering and business, and Johns Hopkins known for its medical and health sciences programs.

Which university has a better reputation?

Both College Park and Johns Hopkins have excellent reputations in their respective fields. College Park is often ranked highly for its engineering and business programs, while Johns Hopkins is consistently ranked as one of the top medical schools in the country.

What is the student life like at College Park and Johns Hopkins?

The student life at both universities is vibrant and diverse. College Park has a larger student population and offers a variety of clubs, organizations, and activities for students to get involved in. Johns Hopkins has a smaller student population, but still offers a range of extracurricular opportunities and a strong sense of community.

How much does it cost to attend College Park or Johns Hopkins?

The cost of attending either university can vary depending on several factors, such as in-state vs. out-of-state tuition and financial aid. On average, Johns Hopkins is more expensive than College Park due to its private institution status. However, both universities offer financial aid and scholarships to help students afford their education.

What are the research opportunities like at College Park and Johns Hopkins?

Both universities are known for their strong research programs and opportunities for students. College Park is a top public research university, with over $1 billion in research funding each year. Johns Hopkins is a renowned private research university, known for its groundbreaking medical research and discoveries. Students at both universities have the chance to work alongside faculty on cutting-edge research projects.