What type of university is best for a physics major?

• Schools
  • Thread starter PRodQuanta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    College
In summary: These are all important factors to think about.In summary, Paden recommends going to a large university with a good physics program and a low cost of attendance. He also recommends going to a school close to home if possible.
PRodQuanta
Well, it's that time for me. I'm starting to apply to colleges and I've made a few campus visits.

Assuming I get accepted to all the colleges I'm applying to (which is a pretty rough assumption), I was wondering what type of university would be best for physics.

A) A small college (~1300 students) that is purely undergrad and has 1) a great physics program 2)well funded undergrad research opprotunities 3)great first/second choice graduate school acceptance rate.

or

B) A larger/well known university (lets say MIT) where you are surrounded by the cream of the crop. However, I'm guessing you wouldn't find to many undergrad research opprotunities and you have to worry about getting taught by T.A.'s?

Hopefully some of you out there can understand what I'm talking about and can give some helpful incite. Thanks.

Paden Roder

Physics news on Phys.org
Honestly, after 4 years and over $50,0000 in debt, I have to tell you that cost is a very important factor to consider. While an undergraduate degree from places like harvard, mit, etc. does look nice on your wall, in the real world (I'm talking about industry), the undergraduate school you went to for a bachelor's isn't really that important compared to work experience etc. The thing that matters most is where you go to graduate school. Most often,undergraduate programs do not differ by tremendous leaps and bounds like graduate programs. Go to the best school for the best deal (unless you want to pay off a ton of loans with interest forever like my stupid a$$).

gravenewworld said:
Honestly, after 4 years and over $50,0000 in debt, I have to tell you that cost is a very important factor to consider. While an undergraduate degree from places like harvard, mit, etc. does look nice on your wall, in the real world (I'm talking about industry), the undergraduate school you went to for a bachelor's isn't really that important compared to work experience etc. The thing that matters most is where you go to graduate school. Most often,undergraduate programs do not differ by tremendous leaps and bounds like graduate programs. Go to the best school for the best deal (unless you want to pay off a ton of loans with interest forever like my stupid a$$).

agreed, although i wish i were in a different environment quite a bit.

well, at least the phys dept. at UF is very tight-knit, which makes up for this.

I went in-state to Georgia Tech, because I had free tuition. I've had a great research experience (I'd say the department size is middle level) and because the curriculum has so many free electives I've basically completed my first year of grad school as an undergrad.

Always think in terms of what are important: do you want to be close to home or far away? cheap or pricy, does it matter? do you want a free curriculum to explore a bit or do you want something tight?

1. How do I determine the best college for me?

Choosing the right college can be overwhelming, but it's important to consider your personal preferences, academic interests, and career goals. Start by researching the academic programs and extracurricular opportunities offered at different colleges, and make a list of your top priorities. You should also consider the location, campus size, and cost of attendance. Visiting college campuses and speaking with current students can also help you make an informed decision.

2. What factors should I consider when comparing colleges?

When comparing colleges, you should take into account the academic programs, campus culture, location, and cost. Look into the faculty-to-student ratio, graduation rate, and job placement opportunities for your major. It's also important to consider the campus atmosphere and student life, as well as the location and surrounding community. Additionally, compare the cost of attendance, including tuition, housing, and other fees, to determine which colleges are the most affordable for you.

3. Is it better to attend a large or small college?

The size of a college is a personal preference, and there are advantages to both large and small schools. Large colleges typically have more academic programs and resources, as well as a diverse student population. On the other hand, small colleges often have smaller class sizes and a more intimate learning environment. Consider your learning style and what type of campus atmosphere you prefer when deciding between a large or small college.

4. How important is the college's reputation?

A college's reputation can play a role in future job opportunities and graduate school admissions. However, it's not the only factor to consider when choosing a college. It's important to also look at the specific academic programs and resources offered at the college, as well as the overall fit for your personal and academic goals. A college with a lesser-known reputation may still offer a high-quality education and valuable experiences.

5. What if I can't afford my top choice college?

If your top choice college is not financially feasible, there are other options to consider. You can look into financial aid, scholarships, and grants offered by the college or external organizations. You can also consider attending a community college for the first two years and then transferring to your desired college. It's important to weigh the cost and benefits of each option and make the best decision for your personal situation.