1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

College transfering

1. Apr 11, 2008 #1
    I am attending a small local college for 2 years, due to limited financial resources. After two years, if all goes as planned, I will transfer to a larger school to acertain my bachlor's degree in physics.

What are some notable school when it comes to physics? My best bet would be the University of Maryland, bit I would like to go to North Carolina or MIT.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2008 #2
    Find a good state or local university. I'm on the very same track you are. After this semester, I only have three more courses to take before I transfer, and I'll be a little over halfway finished with a BS in Physics.
  4. Apr 12, 2008 #3
    If you were unable to land an academic scholarship to a four year state school, you are unlikely to get into MIT for undergrad, much less pay for it. You also don't have a very good chance of MIT accepting much transfer credit.

University of Maryland and UNC-Chapel Hill are both fine schools with good Physics departments. Great grades, recommendations, and GRE scores from either would put you in a good position for graduate school in Physics at MIT. Choosing between them probably shoud depend on transfer (of credit already earned) and financial considerations (in-state tuition).

Completing a BS in Physics at Maryland or Chapel Hill with at least a 3.8 GPA, GRE scores above the 80th percentile, and involvement in undergraduate research with good recommendations will probably lead to both acceptance and a research assistantship to some of the best PhD programs in the country: MIT, Stanford, Harvard, Princeton, etc. Any GPA above 3.5 gives you an outside chance at the top 10 programs, and gives you a good chance at a lot of the top 50 departments. The GPA range from 3.0-3.5 is really the slippery slope when it comes to grad school admission. You will get in somewhere, but then it comes down to a lot of intangibles.

Michael Courtney
  5. Apr 13, 2008 #4

I would just add to make sure you take advantage of the opportunities your college offers to help broaden your horizons and delve deeper in to your major. Additionally, I'd also like to suggest that you prepare well ahead to apply to your schools. Particularly MIT, since their transfer acceptance rate this past year was 6% (17/269), and so is very competitive even more so than freshmen admissions. I would suggest you extensively plan your application and spend a lot of time on polishing the essay.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?