1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Schools College/university with a very good all-around science program

1. Nov 29, 2004 #1
    I'm looking for a college/university with a very good all-around science program. The school must be small and in a small city. Any U.S. state is fine. Thank you.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2004 #2
    heres a few, I am looking for similar schools myself...

Check out U missouri Rolla, and southeast missouri state university, also U illinois Urbana Champaign, I hope those help
  4. Dec 9, 2004 #3
    Otterbein College; Westerville, OH.

Small, private school, great programs in physics (my specialty), chemistry, and life sciences.
  5. Dec 9, 2004 #4

What do you consider small, and what do you consider small city?

I would recomment CalPoly, but that might not meet your conditions of 'small.' Its definitely not the largest of schools, not like UCLA or other campus's with 40,000+ students, but it is still 18,000 students (total, undergrad-graduate.) 3,500 people per year or so. The town is 40,000 people, which in California at least is a small town.

The big advantage to the campus is not size, but philosophy. Everything here is meant to be hands on. Animal science majors start learning by handling animals right away, freshman year. Lots of lab courses. Lots of hands on work. Also you declare your major immediately and start taking classes in your major immediately, its not like most campus's where you don't even have a major your first two years.
  6. Dec 11, 2004 #5
    I wished I could have gone to Cal Poly because of its reputation, but it's way out in the middle of nowhere. One cool thing about the place though, they have a gaming convention every summer called PolyCon that's awesome.
  7. Dec 11, 2004 #6
    ah... calpoly. i applied to the one in san louis obisbo. when i visited it, i enjoyed it, because its a nice, small/medium sized school in a beach town. the two calpoly schools (san louis obisbo, and pomona) have been known for their engineering and science programs, so you might want to check those out.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?