Solving a Car Collision: Kinetic Energy & Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of kinetic energy and average force in a collision between a car and a tree. The first part is calculated by using the regular mv2/2 formula, while the second part is calculated using the equation v2-v02=2as, where s is the distance traveled. There is a discussion about whether this method is correct, and it is suggested to use the driver's kinetic energy to calculate the average force. The conversation ends with a clarification that both methods are valid since they assume a constant force.
shanie
Hello, I've tried solving the following question:

A car collides with a tree with a velocity of 75km/h. The car was compressed 1.1m after the collission and the car's mass is 1100kg (including the driver), and the driver's mass is 71kg.
a) What is the kinetic energy just before the collission?
b) What is the average force that works on the driver during the collission?

Now I calculated a) by the regular mv2/2 giving Ek=239 kJ

And then b) by v2-v02=2as, where s is the distance 1.1m. Converting 75km/h to 20.833m/s, and setting the equation 20.8332/(2*1.1)=197.29 m/s2, this would then be the constant acceleration. According to F=ma I set the equation: 71kg*197.29=14 kN on average during the collission.
Is this calculation correct? I would appreciate some help, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion that is not correct. Your method assumes that the car accelerates at a constant value. Nothing in the problem says that this is the case.

Think about why you were asked for Kinetic energy in part a). It can be used for part b). There is a key physics word in the sentence of part b that gives you a hint of how to do it.

It's all good.

You can also do part b by setting the driver's KE equal to the work done on him by the force of the collision. (It's completely equivalent to what you've done.)

[Note: In the future, please post homework/coursework questions in the appropriate homework help forum (Intro Physics). Do not post such questions in the main forums.]

Chrisas said:
In my opinion that is not correct. Your method assumes that the car accelerates at a constant value. Nothing in the problem says that this is the case.
Since the problem asks for average force, this method works OK. (It actually finds the average acceleration.)

Using energy methods also assumes that the force is constant, which is OK for calculating the average force.

Ok, I can see that since F=ma and as you said Force is considered constant in the average, which implies that "a" can also be considered constant.

Thanks.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object, and is measured in joules.

How is kinetic energy related to car collisions?

In a car collision, the kinetic energy of the moving car is transferred to other objects, such as another car or a stationary object. This transfer of energy can cause damage and determine the severity of the collision.

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity.

What is force and how is it related to car collisions?

Force is a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate. In a car collision, force is what causes the cars to change their velocity and potentially cause damage. Force is directly proportional to the mass and acceleration of an object, and can be calculated using the formula F = m * a.

How can understanding kinetic energy and force help solve car collisions?

By understanding kinetic energy and force, scientists and engineers can design safer cars and implement safety features to reduce the impact of collisions. They can also use these principles to analyze and reconstruct car accidents and determine the cause and severity of the collision.