Model Near-Colliding Ultra-Relativistic BHs w/ Colliding PP Waves

• Thread starter pervect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Waves
In summary: When two particles approach close enough that their waves overlap, they become a single larger object with a higher impact factor. Tipler's theorem (mentioned in the paper) says that singularities appear in the wave solutions for such collisions, so it's not clear to me how a "near miss" could happen.
pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
How reasonable would it be to model near-colliding of ultra-relativistic black holes by the collision of pp waves? Wkiki, for instance, says that the Aichelburg-Sexl ultraboost space-time models the space-time near an ultra-relativistic black hole, and that it's a type of pp wave spacetime, though it's not plane symmetric. This suggests that a pair of colliding pp waves (modelled on the Aichelburg-Sexl solution) might be a good model for a "near-miss" collision of ultra-relativistic black holes.

A related question is if we know anything definite about the results of such a collision. I gather there's quite a lot written about colliding pp waves, but it's unclear if anything that's been written would apply to this hypothetical scneario.

Physics news on Phys.org
pervect said:
a pair of colliding pp waves (modelled on the Aichelburg-Sexl solution) might be a good model for a "near-miss" collision of ultra-relativistic black holes.

I would agree, but I'm not sure what coordinate chart would be used, since the standard charts used for the ultraboost solution are "centered" on the single pp wave. Any chart used for a pair of colliding pp-waves would need to be "centered" on (heuristically) the center of mass of the system (so, heuristically, both pp-waves would be "moving" in such a chart), and I'm not sure if there's a known chart that does that.

pervect said:
A related question is if we know anything definite about the results of such a collision.

In a paper by Yurtsever [1], he refers to a theorem by Tipler that says that curvature singularities appear in generic colliding plane wave solutions. That would seem to me to suggest that there could not be such a thing as a "near miss" ultrarelativistic BH collision--if the holes approach close enough that a pair of colliding pp-waves is a viable model, the collision would have to produce a single larger hole (corresponding to the curvature singularity from the wave collision). But this is all very heuristic and I'm not sure how much it has been studied.

[1] https://journals.aps.org/prd/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevD.37.2803

Ibix said:
The second paper linked by @PAllen in this thread seems to have relevant discussion.

I noticed that paper and started to read it - it seems to be in line with my thinking, but I've just skimmed it so far. My description of a collision as "a near miss" is a bit ambiguous, the paper in question uses "non-zero impact factor" to describe the situation I had in mind. That description is more precise, but probably not too intuitive.

From my reading, except for discussion of other literature in the intro, the paper I linked only covers head on collisions.

1. What is the significance of studying Model Near-Colliding Ultra-Relativistic BHs w/ Colliding PP Waves?

The study of Model Near-Colliding Ultra-Relativistic BHs w/ Colliding PP Waves is important because it can provide insights into the behavior of black holes and gravitational waves. This model allows us to understand the dynamics of extreme gravitational interactions and can potentially lead to a better understanding of the early universe.

2. How are these black holes and gravitational waves simulated in the model?

The model uses numerical simulations to study the behavior of black holes and gravitational waves. These simulations use Einstein's equations of general relativity to calculate the dynamics of the system and provide a visual representation of the near-collision.

3. What are the potential implications of this research?

The research on Model Near-Colliding Ultra-Relativistic BHs w/ Colliding PP Waves can have various implications in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology. It can help us understand the formation and evolution of black holes and the role of gravitational waves in the early universe. Additionally, it can also have practical applications in the development of new technologies for detecting gravitational waves.

4. How do these simulations contribute to our understanding of black holes and gravitational waves?

The simulations of Model Near-Colliding Ultra-Relativistic BHs w/ Colliding PP Waves provide a way to observe and study extreme gravitational interactions that are not possible to observe in real life. This allows us to test theories and make predictions about the behavior of black holes and gravitational waves, ultimately contributing to our overall understanding of these phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations to this model?

As with any scientific model, there are limitations to the Model Near-Colliding Ultra-Relativistic BHs w/ Colliding PP Waves. The simulations are based on simplifying assumptions and may not fully capture the complexities of real-world scenarios. Additionally, the accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the initial data and the computational power available. Further research and advancements in technology are needed to improve the accuracy and applicability of this model.