Colliding Spheres Homework Problem - Find Answer in m/s

• Thread starter mustangguy289
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spheres
In summary, the conversation involves a homework problem that requires the use of conservation of energy and momentum to find the velocity of a smaller sphere when it collides with a larger one. The student has not been taught these equations and is struggling to solve the problem.
mustangguy289
Ive got this one homework problem that i am totally clueless on. Any help?
"Two insulating spheres having radii 0.34 cm and 0.54 cm, masses 0.13kg and 0.58 kg, and charges -3x10^-6 C and 2x10^-6 C are released from rest when their centers are separated by 1.2m.

How fast is the smaller sphere moving when they collide? Answer in units m/s."

Physics news on Phys.org
The professor sent a message stating this. But he has not gone over any of these and i have searched the book for them.

It involves the use of the conservation of the total energy and momentum; set up equations for the initial total energy (kinetic plus electrical potential energy) and momentum and the final total energy and momentum at the moment of collision. Solution of these equations should provide the answer to the question raised.

Indeed you have to use those methods, but how far have you gotten so far in trying to solve them?

To be honest nowhere. My textbook is divided up into two parts. I have part 2 for physics 2 and those equations are in the first part. Its been over a year since i have taken phys 1 and i can't remember those formulas.

1. How do I determine the speed of the colliding spheres in meters per second (m/s)?

The speed of the colliding spheres can be determined by using the equation v = √(2gh), where v is the speed in m/s, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and h is the height from which the spheres are dropped.

2. What information do I need to solve this problem?

You will need the mass and radius of the spheres, as well as the height from which they are dropped. You may also need to know the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of the spheres.

3. Can I use any units for the mass and radius of the spheres?

Yes, as long as you are consistent with your units throughout the calculation. However, it is recommended to use units that are commonly used in scientific calculations, such as kilograms for mass and meters for radius.

4. How do I calculate the coefficient of restitution?

The coefficient of restitution can be determined experimentally by dropping the spheres from a known height and measuring the height of their bounce. The coefficient is equal to the ratio of the height of the bounce to the height of the drop. It can also be calculated theoretically using the equation e = (√h₂/√h₁)^2, where h₁ is the initial height and h₂ is the height of the bounce.

5. Can I use this equation for any type of collision?

No, this equation is specifically for elastic collisions, where there is no loss of kinetic energy. For inelastic collisions, where there is some loss of kinetic energy, a different equation would need to be used.