Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collimate of light

1. Sep 17, 2014 #1
    I am trying to collimate a monochromatic diverging beam of light. Since the size of the beam is quite large, and I want to capture as much of that light as possible, I'd like to place a convex lens as close to the Monochromator as possible to focus or collimate it.

say with an beam with divergence angle ø, and I use a convex lens with focal length f, what would be resulting focal length and diverging/converging angle of the resulting beam going through said lens. I wasn't sure if the thin lens equation is what I should be using

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2014 #2

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Put the lens a distance 'f' from the output face, and make sure the diameter of the lens is larger than the beam diameter (at the lens). The finite area of the output face places a limit on the minimum possible divergence angle.

Orient the convex side of the lens facing away from the laser to minimize aberrations.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook