1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision and impact

1. Nov 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car moving at 30 m/s has a collision and comes to rest in 0.1 seconds. The driver, ClarkGriswold, is brought to rest by an air bag in 0.13s. The driver has a mass of 50 kg.
    1) What average force is exerted by the air bag on the driver ?
    3) How far does the driver travel while stopping?
    4) Two suitcases fly off the roof of the carmoving at 12 m/s relative to the groundand the lid of one pops open, pushingthem apart. The opened suitcase, with amass of 20 kg, is moving at 6 m/s afterthey separate. If the second suitcase hasa mass of 15 kg, what is its velocityafter they separate? https://gyazo.com/59d8533684d27020728eb27ae61cf85d.jpg [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) I assume you use impulse = change (f*t=m*change in v)) in momentum to find the force, but my teacher been talking about using energy to solve stuff, so I don't know if I can use energy formula to solve it somehow? also my answer using impulse = change in momentum equation give me 11538.46 N
    3) Is it easy as multiplying the speed to the .13s? (30m/s*0.13s)
    4) wouldnt the red suitcase continues flying at 12m/s?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2016 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Using impulse is the way to go. Energy concepts are not useful here. Your answer looks correct, but you have way too many significant figures.
    No, the driver does not travel at 30 m/s throughout the 0.13 s time interval.
    Why did the gray suitcase slow down? Was the red suitcase involved?
    upload_2016-11-7_19-59-15.png

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted