Collision & Impact Homework: ClarkGriswold, 30m/s, 50kg, 20kg, 15kg

In summary, a car moving at 30 m/s comes to a stop in 0.1 seconds due to a collision. The driver, ClarkGriswold, is also stopped by an air bag in 0.13 seconds. The driver has a mass of 50 kg. To find the average force exerted by the air bag, impulse = change in momentum is used. The answer is 11538.46 N. The driver does not travel at 30 m/s throughout the 0.13 s time interval. Instead, the distance traveled can be found by multiplying the speed and time. In the second scenario, two suitcases fly off the roof of the car and the opened suitcase, with a mass of
Just_enough

Homework Statement

A car moving at 30 m/s has a collision and comes to rest in 0.1 seconds. The driver, ClarkGriswold, is brought to rest by an air bag in 0.13s. The driver has a mass of 50 kg.
1) What average force is exerted by the air bag on the driver ?
3) How far does the driver travel while stopping?
4) Two suitcases fly off the roof of the carmoving at 12 m/s relative to the groundand the lid of one pops open, pushingthem apart. The opened suitcase, with amass of 20 kg, is moving at 6 m/s afterthey separate. If the second suitcase hasa mass of 15 kg, what is its velocityafter they separate? https://gyazo.com/59d8533684d27020728eb27ae61cf85d.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

1) I assume you use impulse = change (f*t=m*change in v)) in momentum to find the force, but my teacher been talking about using energy to solve stuff, so I don't know if I can use energy formula to solve it somehow? also my answer using impulse = change in momentum equation give me 11538.46 N
3) Is it easy as multiplying the speed to the .13s? (30m/s*0.13s)
4) wouldn't the red suitcase continues flying at 12m/s?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just_enough said:
1) I assume you use impulse = change (f*t=m*change in v)) in momentum to find the force, but my teacher been talking about using energy to solve stuff, so I don't know if I can use energy formula to solve it somehow? also my answer using impulse = change in momentum equation give me 11538.46 N
Using impulse is the way to go. Energy concepts are not useful here. Your answer looks correct, but you have way too many significant figures.
3) Is it easy as multiplying the speed to the .13s? (30m/s*0.13s)
No, the driver does not travel at 30 m/s throughout the 0.13 s time interval.
4) wouldn't the red suitcase continues flying at 12m/s?
Why did the gray suitcase slow down? Was the red suitcase involved?
upload_2016-11-7_19-59-15.png

1. What is the concept of collision and impact?

The concept of collision and impact involves the transfer of energy between two or more objects when they collide with each other. This can result in changes in the objects' velocities, directions of motion, and/or physical deformations.

2. How is the velocity of an object calculated in a collision?

The velocity of an object can be calculated by dividing the change in its position by the change in time. In a collision, the velocity of an object can be calculated by measuring the change in its speed and direction before and after the collision.

3. What is the relationship between mass and velocity in a collision?

In a collision, the mass of an object and its velocity are inversely related. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its velocity decreases and vice versa. This is because a heavier object requires more force to achieve the same change in velocity as a lighter object.

4. How do you calculate the momentum of an object in a collision?

The momentum of an object can be calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. In a collision, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

5. Can the conservation of energy be applied to a collision?

Yes, the law of conservation of energy can be applied to a collision. This means that the total energy of the system before the collision is equal to the total energy after the collision. However, some energy may be lost due to factors such as friction and deformation.