Calculating Impulse in a Tennis Ball Collision with a Wall

In summary, a tennis ball of mass 0.060kg and speed 25m/s strikes a wall at a 45 degree angle and rebounds with the same speed at a 45 degree angle. To find the impulse, we need to consider the change in momentum and direction. Using vectors, we can break down the initial and final velocities into components and find the change in velocity. Multiplying this change by the mass of the ball gives us the magnitude of the impulse. The direction of the impulse is the same as the direction of the force, which is perpendicular to the surface of the wall.
NRasmus1
A tennis ball of mass m=0.060kg and speed v=25m/s strikes a wall at a 45 degree angle and rebounds with the same speed at a 45 degree angle. What is the impulse (magnitude and direction)?

F=deltaP=mv=deltaP/deltaT

Not sure what I am doing wrong. mv=P so 0.060kg x 25m/s = 1.5Nm/s
The book says the answer is 2.1kg x m/s
How do I solve this. What equations am I forgetting?

Physics news on Phys.org
Couple of things to consider.

Impulse is a vector quantity, so direction is important. That's where the 45 degrees comes in.

What does "delta" stand for in deltaP?

Break the initial and final velocities into x and y components to find Δv. Use v2-v1 on to find that change in velocity on both x and y, then use trig to find hypotenuse and that will be your Δv. Good luck

deltaP equals change in P, or change in momentum. I just now noticed the quick symbols on the right. The ball is going up to the right and hits the wall at 45 degrees to the wall. The ball bounces off the wall and is going left 45 degrees from the wall.

Exactly, so assign directional convention to your problem and you will get it!

Try using vectors here :

what is the initial velocity of the ball ?

what is the final velocity of the ball ?

what is the change in velocity ?

Multiply the change in velocity by the mass of the particle . You got the magnitute.

The direction of the impulse is the same as the direction of the force.
A force was applied by the wall on the particle PERPENDICULAR to its surface.
Thus, the direction of impulse is ?

You have to resolve the velocity into its component. For me, I resolved it in the horizontal component. Then, you have to consider the direction. After that, just use deltaP=P(final)-P(initial), Take note of the signs. You can use P=mv and then you can find impulse. The direction of the impulse will be in the same direction as the force applied. Hope I helped!

1. What is a collision in physics?

A collision in physics refers to the interaction between two or more objects that results in a change in their momentum and energy. It can be classified as either elastic or inelastic, depending on whether or not the objects involved retain their original shape and kinetic energy after the collision.

2. What is the impulse-momentum theorem?

The impulse-momentum theorem states that the change in momentum of an object is equal to the impulse applied to it. This means that the force applied to an object over a period of time will result in a change in its momentum, and vice versa.

3. How is impulse calculated in a collision?

Impulse in a collision is calculated by multiplying the average force applied during the collision by the duration of the collision. This can be represented by the equation I = FΔt, where I is impulse, F is force, and Δt is the time interval during which the force is applied.

4. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which the objects involved retain their original shape and kinetic energy after the collision. In inelastic collisions, the objects may deform or stick together, resulting in a loss of kinetic energy. In both types of collisions, momentum is conserved.

5. How can the coefficient of restitution affect a collision?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is defined as the ratio of the relative velocity after the collision to the relative velocity before the collision. A higher coefficient of restitution indicates a more elastic collision, while a lower coefficient of restitution indicates a more inelastic collision. This can affect the amount of energy lost or retained during the collision.