Comparing Collisions: Momentum and Energy Conservation

In summary, the two collisions described involve identical carts with different initial conditions and result in different outcomes. The momentum is conserved in both cases, but the total mechanical energy is only conserved in elastic collisions. Therefore, the total momentum in the second collision is less than the first, and the energy lost in the second collision is greater than the energy lost in the first. This is due to the fact that in the second collision, the carts have equal speeds and come to a complete stop, while in the first collision, the carts continue moving in a positive direction.
dherm56

Homework Statement

Cart A and B are identical. Consider the two collisions described below.

In Collision 1, Cart A starts from rest on a hill at height h above the ground and then collides with Cart B which is initially at rest on the ground. The two carts stick together.

In Collision 2, Carts A and B are at rest on opposite hills at heights h/2 above the ground. They roll down, collide head-on with each other on the ground and stick together.

1) Once the carts have reached the ground the magnitude of the total momentum of the two-cart system in Collision 2 is:

less than the magnitude of the total momentum of the two-cart system in Collision 1.
equal to the magnitude of the total momentum of the two-cart system in Collision 1.
greater than the magnitude of the total momentum of the two-cart system in Collision 1.

2) The energy lost in Collision 2 is greater than the energy lost in Collision 1.

true
false

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum. P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1, the momentum has to be conserved, so I chose B the two momentums are equal in magnitude.

For 2, I am less certain. I chose True because collision two is enalstic and I assume there would be more energy lost to sound in the collision.

Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
dherm56 said:
For 1, the momentum has to be conserved, so I chose B the two momentums are equal in magnitude.
In each collision, momentum is conserved. But that doesn't mean the momentum in those two different situations is equal. Try and figure it out.

For 2, I am less certain. I chose True because collision two is enalstic and I assume there would be more energy lost to sound in the collision.
Both collisions are inelastic, so there's more to it than that.

dherm56 said:

Homework Statement

Cart A and B are identical. Consider the two collisions described below.

In Collision 1, Cart A starts from rest on a hill at height h above the ground and then collides with Cart B which is initially at rest on the ground. The two carts stick together.

In Collision 2, Carts A and B are at rest on opposite hills at heights h/2 above the ground. They roll down, collide head-on with each other on the ground and stick together.

1) Once the carts have reached the ground the magnitude of the total momentum of the two-cart system in Collision 2 is:

less than the magnitude of the total momentum of the two-cart system in Collision 1.
equal to the magnitude of the total momentum of the two-cart system in Collision 1.
greater than the magnitude of the total momentum of the two-cart system in Collision 1.

2) The energy lost in Collision 2 is greater than the energy lost in Collision 1.

true
false

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum. P=mv

The Attempt at a Solution

Any suggestions?

You forgot a couple of equations. Gravitational potential energy and kinetic energy to be exact (mgh and .5mv2).

What is the velocity of cart 1 just before the crash in the first collision? What is the velocity of one of the two carts before collision in the second collision?

Here's a hint for case 2: How do the speeds of carts A and B compare just before they collide? What's their total momentum?

(You don't need to do any calculation to solve this problem. Just a bit of clear thinking.)

for case 1, the second collision has a smaller net magnitude because the system is not moving where as the first collision the carts continue in a positive direction. Therefore making the answer A

for case 2, the speed of the cars are exactly the same and therefore stop when they collide. Because in collision 2 the carts stop and in collision 1 the carts continue moving more energy is lost in collision 2.

Am I thinking correctly?

Excellent.

One step in the reasoning that you didn't make explicit: How does the total mechanical energy of the two situations compare?

mechanical energy I am a little lost on. What is the discrepancy between that and momentum? I always thought total mechanical energy = total momentum

dherm56 said:
I always thought total mechanical energy = total momentum
No. Energy and momentum are two different things. For one thing, energy is a scalar (direction doesn't matter) while momentum is a vector. The two cars moving in opposite directions will have zero total momentum but plenty of mechanical energy. (Until they crash, and that mechanical energy is transformed into heat and deformation.)

In this problem, the thing to realize is that both cases start out with the exact same amount of mechanical energy:
Case 1 = mgh
Case 2 = mgh/2 + mgh/2 = mgh = same as Case 1.

So ultimately even though momentum is different, total mechanical energy is the same before and after the collision?

dherm56 said:
So ultimately even though momentum is different, total mechanical energy is the same before and after the collision?
No! While momentum is conserved in any collision, mechanical energy is only conserved in elastic collisions. The collisions in this problem are perfectly inelastic (they stick together). So some (or all) of the mechanical energy is "lost" in these collisions.

Ooooh!
Alright, that clears a lot of things up.
Thank you very much!

What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system remain constant before and after the collision. In an inelastic collision, only momentum is conserved, meaning that the total momentum of the system remains constant, but some kinetic energy is lost due to the objects sticking together or being permanently deformed.

How is momentum calculated in a collision?

Momentum is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity. In a collision, the total momentum of the system is equal to the sum of the individual momenta of each object involved.

What factors affect the momentum of a collision?

The momentum of a collision is affected by the mass and velocity of the objects involved. Objects with greater mass and/or velocity will have a higher momentum. Additionally, the angle and direction of the collision can also affect the momentum.

Can momentum be transferred between objects in a collision?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects in a collision. In an isolated system, the total momentum remains constant, but it can be transferred between objects depending on their masses and velocities. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

How does the coefficient of restitution affect a collision?

The coefficient of restitution, or the measure of how much kinetic energy is lost in a collision, affects the elasticity of the collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means a more elastic collision, while a lower coefficient of restitution means a more inelastic collision. This can affect the final velocities and outcomes of the collision.