1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Collision at an Angle

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    Two cars, both of mass m, collide and stick together. Prior to the collision, one car had been traveling north at speed 2v, while the second was traveling at speed v at an angle phi south of east (as indicated in the figure). After the collision, the two-car system travels at speed v_final at an angle theta east of north.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2
    Conservation of momentum, remember velocity is a vector quantity.

Show your work so we can determine where you need help.
  4. Nov 27, 2006 #3
    can anyone help me with the above problem? i've been trying to work it out but i can't find the answer to vfinal.... or theta
  5. Nov 27, 2006 #4
    Like civil_dude said, show your work so we know where you went wrong.

Either use the velocities as vectors or break the conservation of momentum into its x and y components.
  6. Nov 27, 2006 #5
    i got the other homework problems but i don't think i'm even close for this one. the answer that i have so far for vfinal i have sqrt( (v*cos(phi))^2 + (2v - vsin(phi)^2)

but that doesn't work or feel right either. and i can't even begin to find theta
  7. Nov 27, 2006 #6
    Are you using energy conservation? The collision is inelastic. Use conservation of momentum.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?